Autosuggest and Autotext
Thread poster: Worder Company
Worder Company
Russian Federation
Local time: 00:36
Russian to English
+ ...
Mar 14, 2014

I have just created a new autosuggest dictionary and I have never used autosuggest or autotext before.

I need to add phrases from the file I am translating, so that when I need to type in the same phrases they will be prompted by autosuggest or autotext.

For example, I have two segments:

Segment 1: The model adjustment procedure enables to derive an adjustment function
Segment 2: Model 1 enables to derive an adjustment function.

So, how do I add the phrase 'adjustment function" to the auto-suggest dictionary or auto-text? Are there any shortcuts to add phrase to augosuggest dictionary or auto-text? Is it possible to automatically add to the auto-suggest an approved segment after it has been approved? What can I do if I have a file that has 6 000 segments, but I want to add it to my autosuggest dictionary?

Are there any alternative for auto-prompting on the open exchange?

Thank you for your answers.

Direct link Reply with quote

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:36
English
Adding phrases... Mar 16, 2014

... is probably better added to Multiterm and then they will be available through Auto-Suggest. Autotext is monolingual so just looks up based on the letters you type as opposed to being clever about what’s in the source. But adding to Autotext on the fly is also easy. I think the default shortcut is Alt+F7, but you can find this on the Advanced ribbon so using Alt+a=x will also do the trick.

Alternatively you could play with AutoHotkey... not OpenExchange but it is free and it will work with any application : http://wp.me/p2xDjK-oR

Regards

Paul

Christopher Girsch  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:36
Japanese to English
Autotext only gives the term ONCE in a TU Jan 15, 2015

I'm going NUTS with 2014.

I work a lot on Japanese-to-English patents. The same long string is repeated multiple times in long Japanese sentences. I break up the sentences when necessary, and periodically I need to use the same long string multiple times within the same TU.

In the good old days with Trados WorkBench 2007, I could simply assign three letters for the long string (something like: tps to type terminal power-supply connection circuit 7) which helped me move quickly and maintain absolute consistency throughout a long text.

AutoText in SDL2014 only allows me to use it ONCE per TU even though I many need it five times. Also, I may have three or four similar strings (like terminal power-supply disconnection signal 8; terminal power-supply connection signal 9; etc. - these are just made up terms for now), so they won't show up if I have used the three or four letters needed for the AutoText to give me a selection.

So I have to go through the SDL TU cells looking for the string - and lose my place and train of thought in long Japanese sentences.

I HATE this software because of that. It slows me down, and makes me lose focus on sometimes extremely LONG Japanese sentences that require laser like focus to translate.

Is there anyway to change the setting so I can use AutoText multiple times for the same terms in the same TU?

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
How to use AutoText multiple times in the same TU Jan 15, 2015

Christopher Girsch wrote:

Is there anyway to change the setting so I can use AutoText multiple times for the same terms in the same TU?

Yes. Go to:
File>Options>Autosuggest
Disable "Hide suggestions which have already been used"

This applies to all Autosuggest providers that are enabled in the list below that option, including autotext.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
You could always use AutoHotkey... Jan 16, 2015

Christopher Girsch wrote:

In the good old days with Trados WorkBench 2007, I could simply assign three letters for the long string (something like: tps to type terminal power-supply connection circuit 7) which helped me move quickly and maintain absolute consistency throughout a long text.

... which is really simple to use for text expansions like this and then you also have the benefit of this being available in any application you work in. There's an article on AutoHotkey here: http://wp.me/p2xDjK-oR

So you would use a line like this for example:

::tps::terminal power-supply connection circuit 7

Then when you type tps in any application on your computer is will expand to the phrase you wish.

Regards

Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Autosuggest and Autotext

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search