Thread poster: Théo Amon

Théo Amon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 14:44
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Mar 18, 2014

Hello:

When I'm using Trados 2011, a dialog box saying "Normal.dot was changed, do you want to save changes?" or something to that effect pops ups in the background. As time passes, there are so many of them that my PC becomes extremely slow. (There was a time I used to get that when I closed MS Word after using Wordfast, but after a reinstall it never showed up again.) Does someone know how to bypass this annoying thing?

Théo

Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Actual message in the dialog box Mar 18, 2014

"Word cannot save this file because it is already open elsewhere. (C:\Users\\AppData\...\Normal.dotm)

When I close Trados and try to close all dialog boxes, I end up in a maze of Save menus that never solve anything (something with Normal templates).

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 18:44
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
That's the way it is Mar 18, 2014

Also in Studio 2014. Just don't care, when re-starting computer. You can stop it when re-starting Word.

Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I think I solved it Mar 18, 2014

Actually, after looking for a solution in the Web, I think all it takes is to delete Normal.dotm in the directory. It's been working fine for the last hour.

merinber
Germany
Local time: 17:44
German to English
Studio 2014 SP1 and normal.dotm May 18, 2014

This appears to be a bug in Studio. I am using Windows 8.1 SP1 and Office 2013. Every time I start Studio, it invokes a new Word instance which is not deleted after I quit Studio. If I delete the instance(s) by hand, every thing is fine until I restart Studio. This has absolutely nothing to do with any third-party add-ins /templates in Word. I have sent a support request on this.

Akke Wagenaar  Identity Verified
Senegal
Local time: 16:44
Member (2011)
English to Dutch
+ ...
I have the same problem May 19, 2014

I have this problem in Studio 2014, Windows 8 with Office 2007.

My solution is to ignore all notification windows. Unless you need to open Word, then do the following: create another Normal.dot file such as Normal2.dot.
Let all instances of Word with open windows just run, but if it slows down your computer, do the following:
CTRL+ALT+DELETE
In the Task Manager that now opens you can end all Windows processes quickly.

If these processes don't bother you, just restart your computer after you're done with Trados. Click on 'Restart anyway' in Windows 8 to force the reboot and bypass open Word processes.
Then after reboot, open Word and answer all the dialog boxes positively.
You will see that Word saved a lot of Normal.dot files as a backup and you can delete them all.

PS Don NOT delete Normal.dot. This is the file that Word uses when opening docs and where you have defined your default formatting etc. You don't want to change that. That's why you should create additional Normal2.dot

[Edited at 2014-05-19 10:42 GMT]

Alonso Santamaria
Mexico
Local time: 10:44
English to Spanish
+ ...
Trados messes up my normal.dotx file May 14

Hello.

I get the same kind of errors and a new document is opened in Word with the last thing I copied to the clipboard in it. This would only be annoying, but the real issue is that it overwrites my normal.dotx file. I lost a number of VBA programs I had written to help me reformat some documents. And all my preferred settings for new Word documents are lost each time.

I read a good suggestion, to backup normal.dotx as I need it. Not bad, but not a real solution.

Is there a way to correct this? Or if it is a bug in Trados, are the programmes aware of it?

Thanks.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Studio 2011 - Normal.dot - MS Word dialog box keeps popping up

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search