Thread poster: Julia Jenner

Julia Jenner  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:50
English to German
+ ...
Mar 18, 2014

Hi!

Somehow the comments disappear when I save the target file. I need the comments in the target file. Customer does not use any CAT tools (it's a literary translation). I'm ready to put the comments into the final target file manually, but I'd like a neat list of them. Is it possible to extract all comments somehow to print them?

Thanks!!

Julia

Direct link Reply with quote

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
How to retain comments in Word Mar 18, 2014

You can retain comments in the target file if it's a .docx and you've set the right options in the .docx filetype.
To see which box to check, read the paragraph on "Comments" in my blog post here:
http://signsandsymptomsoftranslation.com/2013/10/09/studio-2014-part-2/

I don't think you can print Studio comments (although I'd love to be proved wrong on this point) but you can print word docs with comments. Make sure they're displaying in the print view, and then in the print menu, in the options for "print all pages", select "list of markup".

Hope that helps,
Emma

Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank a lot, but... Mar 18, 2014

... it did dnot work. What happens is that (with all the recommended settings) I get an error message when opening the target file.

See my other post for details:
http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/266086-studio_2014:_problems_opening_target_file_after_saving_file_as_word_file.html

What happens is that I can only open a restored version of the docx. file and there are the comments marked and numbered, but they are empty! Am I dumb (always a possibility) and do I have my settings in word all wrong for displaying comments??

Julia

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
PDF conversions Mar 18, 2014

Ah, I see in the other post that your original file was a huge PDF.

My advice is never to process a PDF directly in Studio. You need to convert it to Word first (as you also discovered), and to get a workable file you should process it with Abbyy or other similar OCR program, and then clean up the file in Word, getting rid of spurious formatting/ page breaks (as you also discovered).

In short, as a newcomer to CAT tools, you've discovered the hard way that a 70,000 word PDF is a big undertaking and possibly not the best way to enter the world of CATs.

For more info about printing comments in Word, this MS article may help:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/286169
Although with your current problem, I suspect you won't be able to get the comments processed correctly in Word.

Sorry I can't be of any more help,
Emma

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Why not export for review... Mar 18, 2014

... as this will also contain the comments. You can also export to Excel using the SDLXLIFF to Legacy Converter and get a list of comments in a spreadsheet too.

Regards

Paul

Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you both... Mar 19, 2014

... for your helpful advice! Now I know I should create a clean word file first. Exporting for external review worked a treat! But I didn't manage "to export to Excel using the SDLXLIFF to Legacy Converter". How exactly do I do this? I coudn't find an answer on the help pages nor inthe handbooks. (Please keep in mind I am new to cat tools!)

Thanks a lot!!!

Julia

Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
export to Excel using the SDLXLIFF to Legacy Converter Mar 23, 2014

Can anyone tell me how to do this???

It sounds great, but I don't knw how!

Thank you!!!!!

Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
Multifarious Mar 23, 2014

Julia Jenner wrote:

Can anyone tell me how to do this???

It sounds great, but I don't knw how!

Thank you!!!!!

Hi Julia,

If you go to Paul Filkin's blog article on the subject, you will see that you just have to open the Legacy Converter from Studio's "Welcome" view and click on the "Settings" tab to find the "Generate Microsoft Excel files" option.

Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yay!!! Mar 23, 2014

It worked! I now have a neat excel file with all comments! I haven't found out yet how to just print the comments (me being no excel expert), but I can copy the comments individually and print them in the seperate word file my customer wants for the comments.

I am happy!

Thank you!

Julia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2014: How to print comments

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search