Visualizing the final results of the translation via SDL Studio 2011 (or in pdf / Word)
Thread poster: Salvador Scofano and Gry Midttun

Salvador Scofano and Gry Midttun
Norway
Local time: 05:12
Member (2006)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Mar 19, 2014

I have just started using SDLStudio2011.

After the translation is done the result is a sdlxliff file. Since the text has many tags, I would like to see the text "as is" to check if the tags were put in the correct position, concordance etc. Does SDLStudio have a feature for visualizing the final results of the translation. Or should it be converted to pdf or in Word? In this case how?

Thanks in advance.

Direct link Reply with quote

Filipa Plant dos Santos  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 04:12
Member (2011)
Portuguese to English
In Studio - View In ........ as Target Mar 19, 2014

Hi there!

What I usually do is - in Studio (so you would have to open the file in Studio again) - I open the file, then I go to the FILE drop down menu at the top left of the screen.

From the list that drops down I choose View In... and then choose either source or target.

This - in Word anyway - brings up the document in Word which I then print out for proofreading 'on the page'.

I then make corrections (red pen!) to the paper document.

If there are changes, I then close the Word document that I opened to print, and go back to the Studio file and make the changes I want to make in Studio.

There is also the 'Export for External Review' function, but that gives you a side-by-side view of the source and target, and I'm not sure if formatting issues are very visible in this way.

Ok - maybe you do this anyway? Well - hope it helps!!

Filipa

Salvador Scofano and Gry Midttun
Norway
Local time: 05:12
Member (2006)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
View in options Mar 19, 2014

Hi Filipa,

Thanks for the tips. I suppose we have different versions of SDL, because the View in command gives me only the option for saving it as InDesign file. Is there an option for viewing it as Word or pdf file?

Salvador

Filipa Plant dos Santos  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 04:12
Member (2011)
Portuguese to English
View in original form! Mar 19, 2014

Oh - yes I think that the 'View in... as Source/Target' only shows the doc in its original form.

The only other option I can think of - but I'm only a very basic user - is the 'Export for External Review' function, which I think puts all document types into Word so that we can make use of the Word grammar check function (and any other Word function we like of course).

I use this a lot, as the agency I work for asks me to do this.

Yes - I think this might be what you need.

This is what you do:

You're in Studio. You've finished working on your doc, and you want to give it a final check in Word. In my case, all the segments (usually) will be confirmed.

On the drop down 'File' menu (same one as I mentioned before) you select 'Export for External Review'.

At this point, I usually click 'finish', as the file is then prepared and saved as a - clearly marked - External Review file along with all the other document types in the Studio folder for that project.

Then It asks if I want to open the external review file - so choose 'yes' and you find you're opening a file with the Studio segments, Source down one side, Target down the other, only now you're in Word and can use all its tools.

What I do then is select the chart with the target, and spell or grammar check that.

Once you've finished, save the file. It will be saved in the Studio project file (wherever it is that you have stored this). Then you can close all the Word files that are open.

Now go back to Studio and open your project.

From the drop down menu, choose 'Update from External Review'.

Click 'next' on the first page. Then the next page is called ' Update from an External Review Document'. Here you go to the drop down thing called 'Add' (the other choice is 'Remove')..

Choose 'Bilingual Review Documents from Folder'.

Now you browse for the place where you stored your Studio project, and look for the External Review file (clearly marked!), and find the document inside it - this is your exported Word document, with the changes (if any) that you made to it.

Select this file.

At this point I click on Finish, and Studio does its mysterious work.

Now it asks - do you want to open your project? (or something like this) - I say 'yes! but I guess you can always say no and go back to it later.

Now you are back in Studio, and if you made any changes to the Word bilingual document, you will see them in the segments, marked with red.

In my case, as I always confirm all the segments before sending the file for External Review, the segments where there are changes are now unconfirmed. This is handy! If I want, I can choose 'unconfirmed segments' from the search type box at the top of the Studio page, and it will only show me the segments with changes.

Check them through.

You need to then go to the Tools menu, right at the top, and from its drop down menu, choose 'Track Changes', and from this choose 'Accept All Changes in Document'.

This takes the red marking away, and then you can confirm the segment or change it as you desire.

Ok - this is what I do, and it is not very difficult - but like I say, I consider myself to be a basic user - I can't do clever stuff and I certainly don't enjoy "having fun with the program" ha ha - you know - mucking about to see what it does - to me this is the stuff of nightmares!!!!

Please - anyone who knows more and better - speak up!

Well - maybe this is what you are looking for - I hope so!!

Bye for now and good luck!

Filipa

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Visualizing the final results of the translation via SDL Studio 2011 (or in pdf / Word)

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search