Help! Trados Error (32): The process cannot access the file as 'being used by another process"
Thread poster: Ariel K

Ariel K
United Kingdom
Mar 22, 2014

Hi there,

Can anyone help me with an SDL 2007 issue? I get through the analyse function and then 'translate', using SDL 2007 Trados Translators' Workbench, and the translate function almost completes some 16,550 words, only to give this message at the end: "(32): The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process" I have no idea how to resolve it - can anyone help please? When opening the document (.doc document) I get a message: 'This document contains links that may refer to other files. Do you want to update the document with the data from the linked files?" and then offers a yes/no option. I've tried the translate function by choosing yes, and another time, no, when trados opens the document to translate - but no luck. Does anyone have any ideas of how to get past this or experienced this before? Very many thanks!

Ariel

Madeleine Chevassus  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 18:58
Member (2010)
English to French
peut-être le fichier cible est déjà ouvert Mar 22, 2014

May be your target file is already open;

close the target file

perform again the action you describe

Madeleineicon_smile.gif

Filipa Plant dos Santos  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 17:58
Member (2011)
Portuguese to English
Also file may be attached already to another project!! Mar 22, 2014

This happened to me recently.

I can't remember exactly the situation that led me to get the error message.

In the past when this happened, I immediately realised (through experience!) that I hadn't closed the file, so I just closed the file (that was open in Word for example) and tried again.

But last week I got this message and couldn't solve it as I used to do!

This was because, in order to try and solve my problem, I had opened a new project with a different name, and attached my file, but the project would not open properly because I had already attached that same file to another project with a different name - I was madly opening new projects to try and get one to work.

Oh dear it was a mess.

In the end I just deleted all the 'other' projects to which my file was attached, and then started over, and everything was OK.!!!!

Hope this is of help!

Good luck Ariel!

Ariel K
United Kingdom
TOPIC STARTER
Many thanks & apologies! Apr 14, 2014

Thank you both so much for your detailed and comprehensive help and advice, I sincerely apologise for the massive delay in reply as work has mounted up to a rather large mountain over the last few weeks - really, thank you both so much for taking the time to help me out and I apolgise so much for taking an age to thank you properly. All the best, Ariel

peterinmadrid  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 18:58
Spanish to English
+ ...
The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process - Windows defender Feb 21, 2017

I had a similar problem in Trados Studio 2015, which was giving me the following error message every time I tried to open or save a file:

The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.

I found that turning off Windows Defender's "Real Time Protection" feature fixed the problem immediately. When I turned this feature back on the problem came back. I added an exclusion to Windows Defender so that it does not scan the SDLFileManager folder and the problem went away again.

[Edited at 2017-02-21 18:22 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help! Trados Error (32): The process cannot access the file as 'being used by another process"

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search