Thread poster: Théo Amon
Théo Amon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 08:13
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Mar 23, 2014

Hello:

I've been trying to import into Trados Studio 2011/2014 a TMX memory I generated through Wordfast.

After creating a new, empty memory and trying to import my TMX file, I always get this same error message: "Positive number required. Parameter name: culture". I've read posts saying this has to do with the languages specified at the beginning of the TMX. This is a Portuguese to German memory, and the data at the beginning reads:

{\fonttbl {\f1 \fmodern Courier New;}}
{\stylesheet {\St \cs1 {\StB \f1 }{\StN tw4winExternal}}{\St \cs2 {\StB \f1 }{\StN tw4winInternal}}}

However, I'm not sure that this is where the problem at hand is to be found. Does anyone know how to fix it so I can import it into Trados?

Thanks!

Direct link Reply with quote

John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 06:13
Member (2008)
French to English
Workaround Mar 24, 2014

I often find that Studio can't import TMX files generated by Wordfast. You can try alternative routes such as, for example, import your Wordfast TM into Wordfast Anywhere (freetm.com) and export it as a TMX from there. There seems to be less likelihood of an imperfect TMX this way and Studio is very unforgiving of imperfect TMXs.

[Edited at 2014-03-24 00:48 GMT]

Lorenzo Bermejo
Local time: 12:13
English to Spanish
+ ...
a solution which worked for me Mar 24, 2014

hi Theo, following on what John says, I would also encourage you to use Wordfast Anywhere.

I had some very, very old Worfast TMs with the language pair EN-EN > ES-ES. I managed to import them to Worfast Anywhere and export a .tmx.
then I created a new Studio TM with the language pair EN-US > ES-ES.

then I opened the .tmx produced with Wordfast Anywhere in Notepad++ (freeware) (you can also use Window's Notepad, but it's slower), and changed the EN-EN language code, to EN-US, so it would match that of my fresh Studio TM.

Saved, and imported to the Studio TM succesfully. most, not all, of the segments of the .tmx managed their way into the Studio TM without disturbing error messages.

hope it helps.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Error when importing TMX - "Positive number required. Parameter name: culture"

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search