https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/266585-fuzzy_matches_way_to_reduce_fuzzy_matches.html

Fuzzy matches: Way to reduce fuzzy matches
Thread poster: jakehj03
jakehj03
jakehj03
Local time: 22:24
Mar 25, 2014

Hi All.

Using the Studio 2014, I've got some issues related to fuzzy matches and decided to get some advices

from here. Please read the following descriptions and suggests advices for me.

In November of last year, I got a Korean-English translation task from the client.
And I handled it with Studio 2014. Well, that was so convenient and great experience for me.
After completing the task, I updated the TM and stored the xliff file with
... See more
Hi All.

Using the Studio 2014, I've got some issues related to fuzzy matches and decided to get some advices

from here. Please read the following descriptions and suggests advices for me.

In November of last year, I got a Korean-English translation task from the client.
And I handled it with Studio 2014. Well, that was so convenient and great experience for me.
After completing the task, I updated the TM and stored the xliff file with bi-lingual format.

In January of this year, our client forwarded the updated document of the above task.
At that time, our client sent the full document. And they emphasized that the quantity of the update is very small.
So it’s really hard for me to export the newly added sentences only from the document,
and I decided to use the PM(Perfect Match) function.

Using the previous document, I applied to the PM on new documents and
pre-translated it also with the previous TM.
With this process, I could translate most sentences with PM and CM.

After completing the process in No.2 (above), I expected that there is only newly added sentences left, and opened it. However, I found that there are too many fuzzy matches found than I expected.
In addition, some of the fuzzy matches are in the high match rate, like 95%~99% etc.
For example, both sentences in xliff and TM are actually same (except tags, style, formatting, etc.).
And it affect the match rate and made some fuzzy matches.
Of course it should have been 100% match or CM actually (both sentences are same).
Here is another example. In case of date, ‘2014. 1. 30.’, it was separated by each segment.
In other words, 2014.(year), 1.(Month), 30.(Date) should have been in one segment together,
but in xliff, they were kept in separate segment. And that made another fuzzy matches too.

To solve this, I checked the Help menu in Studio 2014 and browsed many web sites,
but failed to get any useful.

Thanks in advance for all of upcoming advices and comments.
Have a good day.

[Edited at 2014-03-25 11:04 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Fuzzy matches: Way to reduce fuzzy matches

Translation news related to SDL Trados

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »