Studio 2014 does not process DITA/XML files
Thread poster: Anne_B
Anne_B  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:18
English to German
Mar 25, 2014

Hi everyone,

I have a translation project consisting of a large number of DITA files. Some of these files fail to be recognized/imported by SDL Studio 2014. In these cases, the file type is stated as "(Unknown)" in the New Project wizard on the Project Files panel.

The files that fail to be recognized are all glossary files. Topic and task files can all be processed without issues.

All files are properly-formed XML.

The interesting bit is that if I change the extension (using Windows explorer, i.e. without changing any file content) of such a problematic file from .DITA to .XML, that file can then be processed.

Has anyone come across this issue before? If yes, did you manage to solve it, and how?

I'm grateful for any help or hints.

Thanks,
Anne

Direct link Reply with quote

Roy OConnor
Local time: 03:18
Member (2009)
German to English
Processed? Mar 25, 2014

When you change the extension to XML, you say the file is processed. I take it you mean that the XLIFF is formed. But have a look at these glossary XLIFFs in the Studio editor and see if you see any broken up segments, indicating missed tags.

Do you have "Any XML" as one of your file types? The glossary files are obviously not detected as DITA, but pass through and are caught by the default XML type or some other XML type lower down the order than the DITA type. The order is important for correct detection.

You may need to alter the detection part of the DITA file type to include the glossary files, say by adding a common root element from the glossary files.

The Studio Help gives information on how to add root elements and on other methods of file detection.

Hope this helps!

Roy

United Kingdom
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
XLIFFs not formed from DITA files Mar 25, 2014

Hi Roy,

Thank you for your reply. By "process" I meant indeed that the XLIFF is formed.

I followed your advice and checked the XLIFF (I'm currently only using one file for testing) that is formed of the file that had its extension changed from DITA to XML. The file is fine, no broken tags or missing text. The segmentation is a bit off - I have some very large segments that consist of several phrases. But that's something I could live with (for a start).

I then verified my file types. I do have an ANY XML file type and a DITA file type. I deactivated all other file types and moved the ANY XML type above the DITA type. The result is still the same: the samplefile.XML file is converted to SLIFF, the samplefile.DITA is not.

I also added a root element "glossary" in the Project File Type Settings > Detection. (Though I need to read up on root elements in the Help...)

What puzzles me though is that it seems that Studio takes offence of the DITA extension for glossary files. All other DITA files (tasks and topics) are converted to XLIFF without issues.

Do you know what Studio uses to determine with detection settings are used? Will it use the file content or its extension?

Thanks again and have a good evening,
Anne

Roy OConnor
Member (2009)
German to English
It depends.. Mar 25, 2014

... I think, what the extension is. If the extension is DITA, then presumably DITA XML is what Studio expects, but if it finds an unexpected root element, say, then it may default back to XML. I have worked with Madcap Flare, for example, which uses the extension XML, but has a declaring URI in the header. I notice that the Studio DITA file type in my Studio 11 (not changed to 2014 yet) appears to contain some glossary tags, so the difference might not be due to the fact that the files are glossaries, but just that they have been produced differently.

If you compare the headers of the glossaries with those of the other files, you may be able to see what is different and modify the file type accordingly.

Also, what you could do, is to create an XML file type just for the glossaries. Choose the largest glossary which is most likely to contain most tags and use it as the rule file when creating a new file type. But you would still not be able to use the DITA extension.

Of course, you could always ask the client to tell you what they have done to the glossaries!

Good night!
Roy

United Kingdom
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Adding relevant root elements solved the problem Mar 27, 2014

Hi Roy,

Thank you so much for your advice!

It turned out that while the Parser settings for the DITA file type contained glossary tags (as you pointed out), the root element that was used in my glossary files was not listed in the Detection settings.

I now added the relevant root element for the glossary files and the ditamap files, and Studio recognises all files without problem, regardless of whether it has an XML or DITA extension.

Problem solved, translator happy.

Thanks again, and have a great day,
Anne

Roy OConnor
Member (2009)
German to English
Glad to be of help! Mar 27, 2014

I'm still learning about XML myself. More and more companies are moving away from traditional documentation programs in favour of complicated systems that cater for a wide range of media.

So as translators we will have become much more savvy!

Best regards,
Roy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2014 does not process DITA/XML files

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search