Barsam Marasli
United States
Local time: 05:16
English to Turkish
+ ...
Mar 26, 2014

Hello,
I have a Studio 2014 question:

I have to work on a bilingual (doc) file created from a FrameMaker (mif) file. The bilingual file has been previously translated using Trados 2007. It contains both external and internal tags. One type of internal tag looks like

<:cs "Blue Emphasis" 1>Page 40-3<:/cs>

When I open this doc file in Studio 2014, make the necessary edits and "Save Target As", Studio converts the above internal tag to the following:

<:cs >Page 40-3<:/cs>

That is, the part that specifies "Blue Emphasis" 1 is lost in the saved bilingual file.

Does anybody know a workaround for this problem?

Thanks,
Barsam

Direct link Reply with quote

Barsam Marasli
United States
Local time: 05:16
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Double quote is the culprit, but how to fix? Mar 26, 2014

With my limited knowledge of this stuff, I can see that the double quotes in the tags are causing the problem. But I don't have a reasonable solution.

The following internal tag in the bilingual file:

[img]c:\users\barsam\desktop\Bilingual_Before.jpg[/img]

appears as follows in the Studio Editor:

[img]c:\users\barsam\desktop\Studio.jpg[/img]

and this is how it appears in the bilingual output file produced by Studio:

[img]c:\users\barsam\desktop\Bilingual_After.jpg[/img]

So, obviously, since Studio is using double quotes to keep track of the internal tag, any double quotes in the tag itself is a source of confusion for Studio.

Is there a way to tell Studio to use something other than double quotes for this purpose?

An ugly solution would be replace all double quotes in the bilingual file internal tags with something else and then revert back after all is said and done. But I'm sure my client would not appreciate all that funny stuff happening in between.

[Edited at 2014-03-27 22:10 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-03-27 22:16 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Studio 2014 doesn't save internal tags

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search