Thread poster: Laurence Nerry

Laurence Nerry  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 16:03
Member (2007)
English to French
Mar 27, 2014

Hi everyone,

I would like to know if there's a way to display the number of characters of the source and target segments in Studio 2009 Editing window. I'm translating quite a number of slides from English into French, and would like to keep track of text length as I go along with my translation.

Thank you!

Laurence

Direct link Reply with quote

Letizia Olivieri  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
Yes Mar 27, 2014

Hi Laurence,
in Studio 2009 the number of characters/words/segments and percentages of the translated text are displayed on the bottom right side of the Editor view (just next to the little flags of the source and target languages). Usually - and I don't know if this is a deafult setting - when I open the editor I get the percentages, but if you double click on them, a window pops up and from there you can select what to display: characters, words or segments.
Hope this helps,
Letizia

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Be very careful with Trados 2009's character count Mar 27, 2014

I find it unreliable. Even after excluding spaces, punctuation, numbers... the number of characters is still inexplicably low.

France
Member (2007)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Character number for each segment Mar 28, 2014

Letizia and Lucasz,

Thank you for your helpful remarks - this is a feature I wasn't aware of, so it will come in handy.

By any chance would you also know if it's possible to display the number of characters for each segment - which would help me keep control of text length for each slide element as each segment more or less corresponds to a slide element?

Kind regards,
Laurence

Letizia Olivieri  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
Not sure Mar 28, 2014

I don't think there is a feature that allows you to display the characters of each segment.
As far as I'm aware of, the only way to keep track of the characters contained in a target segment is the following:
you have number of characters for not translated text (blank page icon), draft translation (green pencil icon) and translated text (ticked pencil icon). When you start typing your translation into a new segment, the number of characters contained in the corresponding source segment is transferred to the "draft" column. When you're done with that segment, just confirm the translation and the count under the draft column will go back to zero.

France
Member (2007)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Mar 28, 2014

Thanks for the tip, Letizia! I'll keep it in mind for the most sensitive segments, and then, I'll suppose I'll just run the preview now and again.
I can also create a quick excel table with NUMCAR columns, copy and paste my EN and FR texts, and then go back to the cells showing major discrepancies in Studio...

Anyway, thanks for the time you spent & helpful tips!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to count number of characters in Studio 2009

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search