Thread poster: Tuncay Kurt

Tuncay Kurt  Identity Verified
Turkey
Member (2011)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Mar 29, 2014

Hello All,

I am having difficulties while working on Studio 2014 because of very slow response time. When I start typing in a long sentence I can see what I am typing 3-4 seconds later or any other simple task (like adding a term to term base) is taking a really long time (also a crazy fan, some noise and heat on the back of the laptop).

I am aware of the minimum system requirements for SDL Studio (surely on a TM and always with a Termbase), closing of almost all other unnecessary applications while working but still having the same problem (also tried memory defragmentation with System Mechanic).

I am also having several bugs (yes, as the previous versions 2014 is a blessing and a curse too) while trying to use very promising features but this is my main problem for now.

I am working on a 2013 Macbook Air (exact specifications: http://support.apple.com/kb/SP678) on Bootcamp, Windows 7. I am not getting any performance problems with any other software.

Please let me know if there is anything I can do or if you are also having the same problem while working on a similarly configured computers.

Thank you!

Tuncay

Direct link Reply with quote

Yoon Lim  Identity Verified
South Korea
Local time: 09:49
Member (2014)
English to Korean
+ ...
Try optimizing your computers Mar 30, 2014

1. You can simply buy more RAMs. They are cheap.

2. You can use optimizing programs, such as Wisecare 365, System Mechanic. They are also cheap or free for trial.

3. Clean other programs that you are not using.

4. Update trados.

5. Update Windows.

6. Try Disk Defragmentation.

7. Check virus for ALL files. This takes really long time. It would be better if you do this while you're sleeping.

Hope these work for you.

bungholio
German to English
Not sure myself Mar 31, 2014

This seems to be a random problem that at least has gotten a lot better compared to Studio 2011.

We generally see this behavior with XML files, but there is nothing real clear to us why this happens. For example, a single file with 180,000 words to be translated may work just fine, whereas a similar file with 50,000 words exhibits the behavior you describe. Computer performance may be the issue, but the systems we run here are generally pretty good with both CPU processing power and RAM (min. 8 GB). My guess is that it has to do with the XML files themselves. It is possible that the one with 50,000 for whatever reason has a lot more "content" (i.e. untranslatable XML language elements/instructions).

The only solution that we could find was splitting either the XML file itself or the SDLXLIFF file (there's an app available for the latter).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Studio 2014 Too Slow?

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search