TagEditor doesn't include all the text from an Excel cell
Thread poster: Louise Mawbey

Louise Mawbey  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:22
German to English
Nov 16, 2004

I'm using TagEditor with Excel 2002 10.4302.4219 8P-2

The Excel file has one cell with a long piece of text in it. On the screen and on the printout you can only see the beginning of the text but when you click on the cell you can see that there is more text further down the cell which cannot be seen on the screen or on the printout. When I open the Excel file in TagEditor the TagEditor file only has the bit of the text that you can see on the screen and does not show the text further down.

Does anyone kow how I can get TagEditor to present all the text in the cell for translation?

All help gratefully received.


Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 00:22
English to Czech
+ ...
Workaround Nov 16, 2004

The behaviour sounds strange. But you can turn document protection off (Tools - Options - Protection - uncheck "Protect document"), copy the cell from Excel and paste it into the source segment in TagEditor. (Formatting of the text, if any, will be lost.)

Make a backup copy of the original TagEditor document first just in case it's not possible to create Excel file from the new document.


Local time: 00:22
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
ini File Nov 16, 2004


there is an ini File for TagEditor/Excel.

You can try to modify this.

With kind regards



tectranslate ITS GmbH
Local time: 00:22
+ ...
Actually... Feb 1, 2005

...it doesn't look as though the problem relates to the amount of text displayed in Excel (and there is no logical technical explanation why that would be so).
However, it seems that all texts > 1,024 characters are truncated, which indicates to me that there is an inherent limitation in the amount of characters for each cell that TagEditor can process.

This is very dangerous behavior of the software, as it has already led to a considerable delay with an important client's project because the error was detected only in QA after the actual translation. I have found no indication of this limitation anywhere in the Trados documentation, but maybe I didn't look in the right place.

I have just filed a bug report with the Trados company and am currently waiting for their response. I will keep you posted.


EDIT 2005-02-02
Here's their reply:
Sehr geehrter Herr Pischner,

vielen Dank für Ihre Anfrage.

Das Problem mit der Längenbegrenzung bei Excel-Zellen im TagEditor ist bekannt und wurde an unsere Entwicklung gemeldet. Im nächsten Release, voraussichtlich Sommer/Herbst dieses Jahres, wird das Problem behoben sein.

Mit den besten Grüßen
Trados GmbH

Short version in English:
...we know about the problem with the character limitation of Excel cells in TagEditor and our developers are working on it. In the next release, which will come out sometime around the summer/fall of this year, the problem will be fixed...

[Edited at 2005-02-02 11:35]


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TagEditor doesn't include all the text from an Excel cell

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 only €435 / $519
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €435 / $519 / £345 / ¥63000 You will also receive FREE access to Studio 2019 when released.

More info »

  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search