Trados Studio 2011 word count in-dept (discrepancies)
Thread poster: Ernesto Du Solier

Ernesto Du Solier
Mexico
Local time: 03:26
English to Spanish
Mar 31, 2014

Hi everyone,

I'm having a bit of ruckus about word count discrepancies for some MS PowerPoint documents between Trados Studio 2011 and the PPT internal word count function (Advanced Properties) and CountAnything free software.

Studio 11 is consistently giving me higher word counts than the other two, which also differ between them, but are much more closer to each other. My client is suggesting we use the PPT count for invoicing (actually suggesting that we use whatever gives the lesser count), but I cannot accept that because I will be paid less (in some cases, much less) than what I actually will be translating.

So I was wondering if anyone knows exactly what does Trados counts against what PP/CountAnything count. I need something to explain the client why PP count less and why Trados counts more, but more importantly, I need something that helps the client understand that Trados' count is more accurate in regard actual translated content.

I come to you for insight.

So far I've gathered that Studio includes file paths (C://), captions and URLs for images within the presentation, plus the content in the Master Slides (which is to be translated). Not sure if PP or CountAnything include those. It seems that the three options count text-boxes.

To further the problem, when I manually extract the actual translatable text (I do this w/o any TM, so repetitions are not part of the equation) and paste it as plain text into MS Word, then run the word count, I get more words than even the PP internal word count. That really doesn't seem logical to me because I'm counting the visible text in the slides.. Why is PP not counting all that text?

I've read in other topics here that numbers and tags could be a problem, but I don't think that's the issue since Trados puts them under Placeables in the report.

Please help!
Thanks in advance!

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:26
English
Hard to tell without seeing a file.... Apr 2, 2014

... but I guess the place to start would in the filetype options for powerpoint. Studio can also extract things like:

- slide notes
- shapes
- comments
- document properties
- hidden content

Perhaps you are extracting more information for translation than the simple PP wordcount? This may not be very helpful but perhaps if you have not looked at the filetype settings yet it might shed some light on the differences.

Regards

Paul

Ernesto Du Solier
Mexico
Local time: 03:26
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Sorry, I cannot disclose the documents... May 1, 2014

..due to NDA with my client.

This might be a different issue, but as it has to do with how Trados count words.. let's say the PowerPoint internal word count gives a word count of 1,728 for a particular file. Notes were manually removed from this file. There were some Master Slides (PPT does not count these), but they amount for about 20 words (just a copyright footnote).

Now, when I first ran the word count from Trados (using the batch task Analyse Only and producing a Report), I got a word count of 5,568 words!!

At this time I used the normal settings I always use, that is: including hyperlinks and notes, but not comments, alternative text for graphics, properties or hidden content.

The problem went unnoticed since I did not translate that particular file, but later (invoicing time later) this caused an issue for my client, obviously.

I ran the count again today, but excluding hyperlinks and notes, and got 1,913 words.
Then I reverted the settings to normal, ran the word count again, and got 1,919 words.
These two are differences that make some sense due to segmentation? Maybe?

But, +3,500 words off? How's that even possible? Where is such a big difference coming from?
And more importantly, why can't I replicate the 5,568 word count? I checked and unchecked all options, counted all ways possible, to no avail.

As Paul pointed out, there are just a few settings that can be changed. So, what am I doing wrong? What am I missing?
I have checked the file several times, ran the word count again and again, and I can't find where it went wrong.
Was it a glitch?

Any insight on this might be helpful.

Thanks!

[Edited at 2014-05-02 01:25 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-05-02 04:45 GMT]

ottovar
Local time: 10:26
English to Italian
+ ...
Just with PPTX files May 2, 2014

I encountered this problem myself, but just with PPTX file and the only way to get a proper wordcount in Studio 2011 was to convert the pptx files in ppt format.
Opening these particular pptx files in the Editor area in Studio I noticed some additional text which didn't show up in the slides. This text looked like embedded in some images, but I am not sure about that.
Anyway the only workaround was the one described above.
Even in Studio 2014 some pptx files don't give a correct word count.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Studio 2011 word count in-dept (discrepancies)

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search