start tag on line XX does not match the end tag of YY
Thread poster: pmones

pmones  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 17:03
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
Apr 1, 2014

I am trying to save the target file into word (docx), but this message keeps appearing. It is a 25.000 word project that I must deliver today.

I tried the following without success:

1- Checking tags: I checked them and they seemed to be all right.

2- Save as *.rtf and work with this file. Not possible. The file was over 500.000 kb.

3- Save in another format: I saved it as *.doc, but Trados couldn't read it ("unexpected error")

4 - Open and repair file: I tried this approach in several ways, combined with saving it as *rtf and then back from *rtf to *.docx and *.doc, but it didn't work.

5- Erase formats in the source document. It didn't work.

6 - Split original document in different parts. The problem appeared in all sections.

I am working with the following:

- Windows XP
- Trados 2014
- Office 2007
- 4 MB RAM

Does anybody have any suggestion?

Best.

Pablo

[Editado a las 2014-04-01 06:42 GMT]

[Editado a las 2014-04-01 12:55 GMT]

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:03
English
I know you said... Apr 1, 2014

... you checked the tags. But perhaps press F8 to check them, and also press ctrl+shift+h to make sure you are displaying all formatting tags, in case you are not already.

If you still can’t find the problem can you share the files? If so, send me the translated sdlxliff and the original source file and I’ll take a look.

Regards

Paul
pfilkin@sdl.com

Uruguay
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Problem continues Apr 1, 2014

Dear Paul:

Thank you for your reply.

I have done everything you said, but the problem still continues. I will accept your genlte offer and send you the files.

Best.

Pablo

[Editado a las 2014-04-01 15:14 GMT]

Uruguay
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Probelm solved Apr 2, 2014

I solved the problem with the old Translator's Workbench (Trados 2007). TagEditor didn't work.

For this, I exported in tmx format the TM from Studio 2014, then I created a new TM in Translator's Workbench where I imported the tmx file, and I re-translated the whole document (25.000 words, 5.061 segments).

It was exhausting, but at least the translation was delivered.

Best and thank you, Paul.

Pablo

pmakinen  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:03
Member (2005)
Croatian to English
+ ...
Having Just Run into This Issue AGAIN May 11, 2014

SDL Support wrote:
... you checked the tags. But perhaps press F8 to check them, and also press ctrl+shift+h to make sure you are displaying all formatting tags, in case you are not already.

If you still can’t find the problem can you share the files? If so, send me the translated sdlxliff and the original source file and I’ll take a look.

Regards

Paul
pfilkin@sdl.com

I am infuriated by the way that Trados frequently just sits there and refuses to give you your target file if there's a minor error somewhere, and I can *never* send the files anywhere else for anyone to look at; many of us can't do that...why do you *always* suggest something that's impossible for so many people?

The error code is:
P start tag on line 1 does not match the end tag of cf. Line 4 position 3652.

How do I even find these obscure locations, look at the tags, and potentially fix them? (I already have ctrl-shift-H on, and *see no such thing* as a 'p start tag').

Sigh. I don't even have access to an XML editor to try and sort this out....maybe Word has an xml mode so I can perform some surgery on the sdlxliff file.

United Kingdom
English
Resolving problem files May 12, 2014

Hello pmakinen,

You're right, not everyone can share their customers files. We're really not interested in the content and delete the files afterwards but I understand the problem with this. I think I got into this habit after suggesting solutions but the user was still unable to resolve the problem. It also gave me an opportunity to report any reproducible problems to developement to try and make this more robust. But I'll do my best to stop this practice.

There is a series of videos that the Client Services Team have released recently titled "Top 10 support issues and how to resolve them" : http://goo.gl/3cPHnV Perhaps this will be better for all users so they can resolve their own issues.

In addition we have released a small plugin called "Client Services CXM" : http://goo.gl/PSeDxL This plugin gives you access to more places you can get help and to report issues in a location where SDL will always receive it whether you have a support contract or not. There is no guaranteed response time with anything you put in here because this is what a support contract is for, but we will do our best to make sure any urgent issues resulting from the software not working as intended are picked up timeously. Of course in some cases we will still need to ask for the files if you are not able to resolve it yourself... I don't think there is a way around that.

Regards

Paul

United Kingdom
English
XML Editor? May 12, 2014

pmakinen wrote:

Sigh. I don't even have access to an XML editor to try and sort this out....maybe Word has an xml mode so I can perform some surgery on the sdlxliff file.

Any text editor would do as XLIFF is a text based format. The problem however is that the reference to an error doesn't always refer to the XLIFF you are working on. This is a tricky area we are working to try and improve so the messages refer to something you can action yourself.

I appreciate this is frustrating, and we don't like to see these problems anymore than you do. We do our best to improve the software with every release, but I doubt we'll ever completely remove all file problems as they can often be caused by things out of our control. We can only try to fix them when we are able to reproduce them.

Regards

Paul

pmakinen  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:03
Member (2005)
Croatian to English
+ ...
Maybe I Got a Bit Hot Under the Collar May 12, 2014

SDL Support wrote:

Hello pmakinen,

> You're right, not everyone can share their customers files. ... It also gave me an opportunity to report > any reproducible problems to developement to try and make this more robust. But I'll do my best to > stop this practice.

These problems invariably come up at deadline time, which is a high-stress momenticon_smile.gif. I managed to save myself from a similar problem (due to a bad file) by doing a test export after the first segment, when I'm calmer, and have less time invested in a potentially bad document.

It seems to be better to treat all documents as potentially bad, and fix them before translation, than to get stuck later...

[Edited at 2014-05-12 15:07 GMT]

Anna Salek
Poland
German to Polish
This error is killing me softly.. Jul 25

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to save target file in Trados 2017 and getting following error message:
"Failed to save target content: Tag początkowy „cf” w wierszu 9 na pozycji 3751 nie pasuje do tagu końcowego „P”. wiersz 9, pozycja 4994."

Can anyone tell me how to find that start tag "cf"? I've read previous comments and have no idea what to do...

Is Paul Filkin still there, maybe he could help??

Regards,

Ania

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

start tag on line XX does not match the end tag of YY

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search