Thread poster: rogerB
rogerB  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 11:03
Member (2003)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Apr 2, 2014

Have received a humongus bunch of text files (not ,txt) from a client they want a quote on, and see that there are a lot of tags in the files that needs to be preserved.

How du I:
1. copy the file type definition Text to another file type definition that I can edit without messing up the original
2. Set up the tags so that the tags in the document apears as inline tags in the text when we translate it. Think this isn done in the sub group "Inline tags", but when I try to do that I get tag errors when i try to create the project!

Hope anybody can help!

Direct link Reply with quote

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Create a new filetype Apr 2, 2014

Hi,

When you create a new filetype you are given a few options. One of them is a "Regular Expression Delimited text". Choose that and you will have a new one that is unique and will not cause you to overwrite the settings on the default.

On the inline tags... you are in the right place. But you have to specify your rules carefully. Regex is quite powerful and if the rule is too general there is a good chance you might cause the rule for an end tag to find a start tag for example. Then you end up with unfinished pairs and Studio will error.

Do you have an example of the sort of things you need to be protecting with tags?

Regards

Paul

Norway
Member (2003)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Tags Apr 2, 2014

Hi and thank you for your reply.

The text is littered with tags that are to be replaced at a later stage (after we have translated them), and they look like this:
%\h
%\q
%\p
%\s

and so on ...

Some of them are format identifiers, and some are place holders for merged text.

There are no opening and closing tags

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
I guess... Apr 2, 2014

... a single placeable rule would do the trick then. Something like this based on your example:

%\\[a-z]

If it’s more complex than this feel free to drop me an email with an example file.

Regards

Paul
pfilkin@sdl.com

Norway
Member (2003)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Worked Apr 2, 2014

Thank you Paul

That worked like a charm!!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tagging of standard TXT files

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search