Help with embedded content in Studio 2014
Thread poster: bungholio
bungholio
German to English
Apr 2, 2014

Hi!

We have a bunch of XML files that for some reason or other contain the newline/carriage return symbol (the backwards looking P symbol). We would like to make a rule in Trados Studio where the text is actually broken there (currently we have units several lines long, which prevents us from leveraging our TM as well).

I would have thought this could be solved simply using embedded content rules, but I can't figure it out. My hope was that I could just put in the character for a new line (\n) and Trados would do the rest. Unfortunately, it's not working. I opened the XML file in Sublime to make sure that the \n character worked there (and not \r - line feed), and this program also indicates \n. I can't find a lot of information online about this feature (especially with this use case) and don't know, for example, what I should choose under "Document structure information".

Can anyone please help?

Thanks in advance!

Direct link Reply with quote

bungholio
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks SDL Apr 3, 2014

Fortunately, I was able to find a page from SDL that helps. The answer is not embedded content, but a segmentation rule (logical). I'm still wondering if it would be possible to solve this using embedded content.

Link:
http://producthelp.sdl.com/kb/Articles/3676.html

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:23
English
If it uses the pilcrow character... Apr 3, 2014

... then just copy and paste the pilcrow into the embedded content rule and make the segmentation hint "Exclude". So the steps are this:

1. Create your xml filetype with parser rules to extract your text
2. Add structure to the elements with embedded content (any will do, I used Paragraph)
3. Enable embedded content processing
4. Add the structure you wish to apply it to (Paragraph in my case)
5. Add the placeholder rule (copy and paste the pilcrow symbol in)
6. Click on the advanced button in the add/edit embedded content rule window
7. Change the segmentation hint to "Exclude"

That’s it.

\n will only work if it’s a real hard return. If it’s the symbol, or an entity value, then copy/paste the pilcrow symbol will work.

Hope that helps?

Regards

Paul

bungholio
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Unfortunately... Apr 4, 2014

...the pilcrow character does not appear in the .XML file itself; it only shows up in the Trados Studio editor.

This is an example of the XML file:

EDITED OUT (tags not displayed anyway)

The stuff between the tag is pulled into our CMS from an editor in SAP. The XML is then generated by our CMS.

Since the character doesn't show up in the text editor (Notepad++ shows when I turn on line-end characters, Sublime would also show - Windows system setting), I can only "copy" it from Trados and pasting it in the Embedded Content section doesn't work. I don't think it copies, since "pasting" it in word after a line of text also doesn't add a break.

I still have the segmentation rule which works, so the problem is fixed. Maybe the XML code above will provide new information about how or if this can be solved with embedded content?

Thanks so much for your help!

[Edited at 2014-04-04 08:54 GMT]

bungholio
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Apr 4, 2014

Hi Paul,

thanks again for the help! It turns out I wasn't doing the embedded content correctly, and even though I wasn't able to copy the paragraph character, I was able to set it up correctly using "\r". (I had forgotten to mark the tag in the parser rules first as a structure tag and assign it a structure.). By doing this, I was not only able to fix this problem, but also a couple more that we had been having by turning some useless/unnecessary characters/motifs into placeholders.

Thanks a million!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help with embedded content in Studio 2014

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search