Gabriela Rivera  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 09:17
Member (2012)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Apr 2, 2014

Hello all,

I have a client who asked me to deliver a Word file, the TM, and a bilingual file, but he wants me to send him a bilingual Word file, and I don't know how to do that in Trados 2011. I read you can do it using 2007, which I don't have, so that's not really an option.

Any ideas?

I appreciate your help.

Direct link Reply with quote

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:17
English
Bilingual Word in Studio 2011 Apr 2, 2014

Hi Gabriela,

There is an article here that explains the process : http://wp.me/s2xDjK-unclean

This article does use an application called SDL Legit! but this only works with Studio 2014 so your options are probably to see if you can get a copy of Trados 2007 (or ask a colleague to prepare the file) or your client prepares the file for you.

Studio 2011 can translate the bilingual file but it can’t create it.

Regards

Paul

Gabriela Rivera  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 09:17
Member (2012)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
OK... Apr 2, 2014

I manage it to get a bilingual file, and I could successfully open it in 2011, I started translating it but when I save the file to see how it would look like, it's just a normal Word file, not bilingual. What am I doing wrong?

I don't want to keep translating if I can't actually get a bilingual file out of it. Is it supposed to look like a normal Word file?

Thanks,
Gabriela

Charlotte Farrell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:17
Member (2013)
German to English
+ ...
Have you got hidden text turned on? Apr 3, 2014

You won't see the Word file as a bilingual word file unless you have hidden text activated - how to do this depends on your version of Word, so it's best to Google this rather than me describing a way that my not work for you.

If you still don't see a bilingual file - do you have a helpful friend or colleague who has studio 2014, MemoQ or another CAT tool that allows you to export bilingual Word files? If so, you could send them the project/a TM export and ask them to produce a bilingual file from that.

If those two options still don't work, just be honest with your client and say that you're not able to produce a bilingual file as requested. Assuming that your client is an agency (and it's unlikely that they'd want a bilingual file otherwise), they should have a tool to produce a bilingual file from the TM themselves.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:17
English
How do you know... Apr 3, 2014

Gabriela Rivera wrote:

I manage it to get a bilingual file, and I could successfully open it in 2011, I started translating it but when I save the file to see how it would look like, it's just a normal Word file, not bilingual. What am I doing wrong?

I don't want to keep translating if I can't actually get a bilingual file out of it. Is it supposed to look like a normal Word file?

Thanks,
Gabriela

... you have the bilingual file in the first place? As Charlotte said, if you show paragraph marks and other hidden formatting in Word you will be able to see the mark up. Usually Ctrl+* will do this in most versions of Word.

In Studio 2011, if you work in TagID mode you will see this when the file is open in the editor:

In Word after pressing Ctrl+* to activate the hidden formatting it will look like this:

So if you see this then you’re on the right lines.

Regards

Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Converting word file into bilingual file

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search