Studio 2011: question about sorting concordance results
Thread poster: Annikat
Annikat

Local time: 06:40
French to English
+ ...
Apr 3, 2014

Hello,
I have a question about Studio 2011. When I do a concordance search, it always brings up my oldest translations first (eg. from 10 years ago) and then the newest ones are always far down the list.

Does anyone know if it's possible to change the settings so that my newest translations come up first?

Thanks

Direct link Reply with quote

Henning Holthusen  Identity Verified
Philippines
Local time: 12:40
English to German
+ ...
Don't think you can do that Apr 5, 2014

I don't think Studio offers anything like that. Which is really unfortunate.
The concordance function in Studio is kind of bad. You can't search for phrases or combinations of words (i.e. "framework law") and Studio pays no attention to the relative position of the words in the sentence, so many terms which consist of two or three relatively common words tend to be impossible to find in a large TM.
You apparently only search the index, so if the term you're looking for isn't indexed, you won't find it, even if it's in the TM, and you can't force a "dumb" search unless you go to the TM-View. And searching under TM-View is very slow, even if you have the TM on a RAM disc! I have absolutely no idea if Studio's performance relates in any way to what hardware you're running.
You can't give priority to new TUs and you can't have individual windows showing the results for different TMs you are using.

The Studio concordance search is so bad that for some projects, I use an Editor to search a TMX-Export, which takes about 2-3 seconds to search a large TM when Studio needs half a minute. I really don't understand why it's so bad. It's not like database searches are a new technology. And it shouldn't be complicated to just load the entire TM into computer's RAM.

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2011: question about sorting concordance results

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search