How do I translate a complete website in Trados Studio 2011?
Thread poster: Ward Whittaker

Ward Whittaker  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 14:56
Portuguese to English
Apr 3, 2014

Can I download the website directly into Studio somehow. I've never done a website in Studio before. Any tips appreciated.

Direct link Reply with quote

Roy OConnor
Local time: 19:56
Member (2009)
German to English
Try a grabber Apr 3, 2014

You could try a website grabber, such as the free HTTrack Website Copier. This supplies you with the HTML files which you can load into Studio as a project. You will probably need to tidy the translated website up a bit, but it is probably a lot better than cutting and pasting.

Pieter Beens  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2011)
English to Dutch
Other options Apr 3, 2014

HTTrack is definitely worth a try.
However, you will also download every other files, like documents, CSS (markup) files and anything else you do not need. Furthermore it is difficult to make an accurate quotation on the basis of that.
If the website has an CMS you might consider to use a plugin for translation (like WPML for WordPress) and translate in the back-end. You can also ask the site owner for the text in a Word document or for another CAT tool compatible file..

Success!

Pieter

Jane Proctor  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Easyling Apr 4, 2014

Easyling.com offers another platform which I believe is compatible with Trados.
If you use it I'd be interested to hear how you get on.
Good luck!

Ward Whittaker  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 14:56
Portuguese to English
TOPIC STARTER
If only..... Apr 4, 2014

Thanks for the tips folks. If SDL are listening, web site localization is becoming much more common now and will continue to do so. What we need is the ability for Trados Studio to open a browser link (from within Studio) and then have it automatically download all associated pages and prepare them for translation and then save them back to a folder as full pages which can be sent to the client and from which the client's IT dept can simply add them to the site.

xxxnrichy
France
French to Dutch
+ ...
It won't help Apr 4, 2014

If the website is of the dynamic type, structured in a CMS. And most websites are, nowadays. In that case, the webdesigner is generally able to export the contents into a .xlsx file and to reimport them, after translation.

Wojciech_
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Agree Apr 4, 2014

Ward Whittaker wrote:

Thanks for the tips folks. If SDL are listening, web site localization is becoming much more common now and will continue to do so. What we need is the ability for Trados Studio to open a browser link (from within Studio) and then have it automatically download all associated pages and prepare them for translation and then save them back to a folder as full pages which can be sent to the client and from which the client's IT dept can simply add them to the site.

I would immediately buy the CAT tool that offers such a feature

Miguel Carmona  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:56
English to Spanish
Not really Apr 4, 2014

Ward Whittaker wrote:

I beg to disagree.

There are already specialized tools for downloading websites.

Downloading web sites is not the job of any CAT tool. Their job is to allow translators to translate web pages (among many other types of files, of course) in an efficient way.

CAT tool developers have plenty to do in their hands already perfecting their softwares, and that is what we want them to do.

We do not want to distract them from their main task.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do I translate a complete website in Trados Studio 2011?

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search