Trados on Mac : advice required
Thread poster: corinne durand

corinne durand  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:34
English to French
+ ...
Apr 10, 2014

Hi,

I hope someone can help. I have just migrated to a MAC (OS X 10.9.2) from a Windows PC and have just realised that there is no MAC version of Trados.

I have a brand new Trados Studio 14 licence (Freelance Plus) and would like to be able to use it on my MAC, as well as, if possible, Trados 7 which I still use too.

I have just purchased and downloaded Office 2011 for Mac on my new machine. What is the best option, do I have to also purchase Parallel if I want to use Studio seamlessly as on a PC and still be in a MAC environment?

I know that Bootcamp is another option but I do not want to have to log out just to use Studio and make things more complicated if I can avoid it.

If so, will my Office 2011 for MAC work OK with Trados Studio 14 (and any other Trados version I wish to use) or do I need a version of Office for Windows if Studio will be running under the Parallel programme?

I really hope someone can help (and pardon my ignorance) !

Thanks in anticipation.

Direct link Reply with quote

Johanna Liljenzin  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 06:34
Member (2009)
Swedish to English
+ ...
You need to run windows virtually Apr 10, 2014

Corinne,

If you want to use Trados on your Mac, then you must also install Windows on it - Trados does not work directly in OSX.

You need to install Windows to run Studio (or any other form of Trados).

You can install Windows natively, in Bootcamp, in which case you need shut down OSX and reboot your computer in Windows every time every time you want to use Studio. The other, more practical, option is to install Windows with the help of virtualisation software such as Parallels Desktop, VM Ware or similar. Then you can use Studio side by side with your Mac software, without having to log out from the MAC OS. I believe there are some old threads on this if you search the forums.

If you only have a Mac version of Office, then you will not be able to use the "preview" function in Studio, as this requires that you have a Windows version of Word. Everything else (such as using the external review feature) should work just fine.

I hope this helps!

Johanna

Susanne Kress  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:34
Member (2010)
Spanish to German
+ ...
Preview in Studio 2014 Apr 10, 2014

Hi, Corinne and Johanna

I am running Studio via Parallels on my Mac. I have Office 2011 for Mac and MS Word 2003 in Windows, so when I still worked with Studio 2011 I was not able to preview .docx documents, as Johanna says.

But now with Studio 2014 the preview works: when I have a .docx and click on the preview button, it opens in Pages (!), and when I have a .doc, it opens in OpenOffice. I haven't really had the time to check why it works like this, but I am happy that it works.

All the best,

Susanne

LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:34
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
You can have both Boot Camp and a Virtual Machine Apr 13, 2014

corinne durand wrote:

I know that Bootcamp is another option but I do not want to have to log out just to use Studio and make things more complicated if I can avoid it.

If you install Windows via Boot Camp before installing the virtualization software, the Parallels VM (and probably other VMs) allow you install Windows from the Boot Camp partition, rather than through the VM. This gives you both options - you can boot to Windows directly through bootcamp (avoiding performance loss due to the VM) or through the VM from the Mac OS (for convenience).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados on Mac : advice required

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search