Ben Engel
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:46
Spanish to English
+ ...
Apr 10, 2014

Hi, everyone.

Using: Studio 2011
Project: 7x SDLXLIFF, Fr > En, came as package. 2 files translated, 1 partially translated. Definitely saved.
PROBLEM: My computer went onto standby because of low battery. When I resumed, the file I was working on was still up, so I completed, saved and closed it. I found that the FILES VIEW HAS GONE BLANK - it is showing no files for this project!

I then tried opening each of the xliff files from their location on my computer, to discover that none of the files (including the ones I had just spent several hours translating) show anything at all in the TT column.

I then tried re-importing the package. Trados said "The version of X [and Y and Z] in the package is older than the one in your project. Overwrite it?" so it is aware that changes have been made to these files. However, it STILL shows no files in the Files pane.

Context: My old computer died unexpectedly. Bought a new one today. Deactivated licence, then installed and activated Studio 2011 on my new machine. Has been working fine up until this point!!

Having been without a computer for several days, I have a deadline on top of me... so if there is ever a good time for the files I've spent all evening working on to disappear into the ether, this is not exactly it!

Please help. I'm at my wits' end.

Ben

Direct link Reply with quote

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:46
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Open the project created with a package Apr 11, 2014

I suggest you go to the project view and click "open project". Browse to the place where you created the project / unpacked the package the first time and click on the project icon there (blue cylinder icon).

HTH,
Emma

Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 22:46
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Open files from Project folder Apr 11, 2014

Perhaps your PC lost the link to the project but the project is still there. You should find it in the Projects folder, in your Studio 2011 folder. Go to that folder and click in the blue icon for opening the project.

Ben Engel
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks . . . feedback when feasible Apr 11, 2014

Hi,

Thanks to both of you for your suggestions. I spent all last night doing the project the hard way (as seven single-file projects, no TM function), and sent it off this morning, so the crisis element is averted... However, I'm very keen to be able to recover from this if it happens again, so I will try both of your solutions later on and put up a post about the results.

Thanks again.
B

Ben Engel
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Project folder selected in hidden sidebar Apr 11, 2014

Hi all,

When I imported a new package and found the same thing happening, there was a moment of panic... but I spotted the little "Expand" button for the navigation pane. Expanded it, and it was displaying the project root... By going down a level to the folder, I found the files I needed. I then did the same thing with the disappeared project, and there the files are. Apparently all at 0% - I must have overwritten the wrong one. Talk about learning the hard way...

I do have a follow-up question, which is "Why is Trados suddenly displaying things one level up? Is there a way to set preferences for this?" In the past, whenever I've clicked "Open" on a project in the "Projects" view, and in opening the project it has switched to the "Files" view, it has always displayed the actual files rather than the blank root. I'm still mystified as to why this happened, because I didn't do anything!

Many thanks to Emma and Clarisa for the helpful suggestions.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Disappearing/ghost files after computer standby

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search