Robert Long  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:43
Member (2012)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Apr 11, 2014

Hello all,

This question may have been asked before in various ways but I'm still uncertain about the process of creating TM for Trados. More specifically, I have already translated the files using Trados and now my client would like for me to send TM files. How does one go about doing this?

Additionally, the same client has sent me several files (over 30) each the equivalent of 1-3 pages or so of a word document. Though I uploaded all of the files into Trados at once under a single project, I noticed that when repetitions occur between the different files I they do not auto-populate as they do when I'm working in a single file. I assumed they would since they were all part of the same project.

Since this project (which is VERY large) has a very high number of repetitions, I really need to figure out how to generate a TM that I can use as a go a long, and thus also need to learn how to update it after I finish each file so that it can be used for subsequent files.

Any suggestions will be very appreciated.

Many thanks,

Direct link Reply with quote

Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 07:43
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Take a few minutes to watch this video Apr 11, 2014

I reccomend you to watch the following video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unrbND4x4fU

It will only take you 3 minutes.

Regards

Clarisa

Ivan Bertrand  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 12:43
English to French
Hi Robert Apr 12, 2014

I have similar concerns: although I took the first two classes on Trados 2014, i am still a bit unsure with the sending of the TM I generated to my customer.
I am supposed to do so? He hid not explicitly requested them and did not send me one, so I had to start from scratch since this job is on a very specialized topic that I never handled before.
My project contains only two files but they are both quite large and I am done with one of them and I do not like the poor level of propagation that I obtain with the second one.
I also have a problem with term bases: I have taken as a base some of the free term base that are available on the app store but it seems that I cannot add terms to this term base.
Now I have tried to generate a specific term base but the tools do not agree and request that l my term base contain at least 10,000 words ! what the hell? I am quite sure I am doing something wrong, but I am not sure what.
I am a bit tired of translating the same words again and again: i have lowered the percentage that will make trados propose a translation from 70 % to 60 % so that I have a better propagation but still I am not satisfied by the end result.
Any help would be welcomed.
If I cannot obtain help from the community I will ask tech support since I bought it and will keep you posted on the results.
If you contact me via mail through PROZ i will send you the training material that I have gotten after these courses.
Thank you in advance.
Kind Regards
Ivan

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Hmnn... Apr 12, 2014

Hi Ivan,

I get the feeling there is a little confusion going on here. The 10,000 limit relates to an AutoSuggest Dictionary and not to a termbase. So if your TM doesn't have 10,000 Translation Units then this is why you can’t create the dictionary.

To create the Termbase you either use MultiTerm or the Glossary Converter, both are pretty straightforward to use and don't require you to have any terms at all to get started. Maybe look at these posts for some help:

Lot’s of good resources for getting started with Multiterm
http://wp.me/s2xDjK-imrthtl

A general overview of MultiTerm
http://wp.me/p2xDjK-BI

Using Forbidden Terms in Studio (but does have a reasonable overview of both tools)
http://wp.me/p2xDjK-CM

The OpenExchange termbases you added are indeed read only, but you can add as many termbases as you like, so these are just added value based on the Microsoft Terminology collections.

On your Auto Propagation... perhaps you are just translating content that doesn't have anything relevant to help? Maybe try a Machine Translation engine to give you something to work with if you are not even getting fuzzy matches, and yet find low fuzzies useful?

This article might be interesting for you if are new this kind of thing : http://wp.me/p2xDjK-2W

Regards

Paul

Ivan Bertrand  Identity Verified
France
English to French
ok thanks paul Apr 12, 2014

Hi Paul:
thank you for the precious tips.
it did help a lot with the term bases, i did create my own directly from multi term and also from excel.
I did not watch nor read the articles, since of course I am right in the middle of a rush job of 22 000 words with crazy deadlines.
I will though.
Kind Regards
Ivan

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Creating Trados translation memory

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search