Multiterm. Add term shortcut no longer works.
Thread poster: Richard Hill

Richard Hill  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 10:58
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
Apr 25, 2014

After this morning's update of Studio 2011 I could no longer add or edit terms, then having read this post http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/265187-resolve_multiterm_studio_2011_2014_add_edit_term_issues_and_run_it_successfully_with_java_7_up_51-page2.html the issue was partly resolved after running the automated workaround I can now add and edit terms but the F12 shortcut key no longer saves the term so I have to manually click the save this entry button in the termbase viewer.

Also, in the termbase viewer it says "Save this Entry (Ctrl+F12)" but I have the keyboard shortcut set as just "F12". Niether "Ctrl+F12" nor "F12" save the entry. I have to do it manually, which is really annoying as I'm on a big technical job and need to add loads of new terms.

Any ideas to fix this issue?

Thanks in advance.

Rich

Direct link Reply with quote

Mexico
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
... also Apr 25, 2014

I have just realized that if I click on the white area of the termbase viewer, F12 does then save the term, regardless of the fact that when I hover over "Save this Entry" it says "(Ctrl + F12)". Why on earth do I have to click on the termbase viewer in order for F12 to "work"?

Mexico
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
I had this issue before Apr 26, 2014

but the solution "deactivate the Java setting 'Enable the next-generation Java Plug-in'" found here no longer works: http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/208738-f12_stopped_working_after_installing_trados_studio_2011.html

I have lost hours on this, so here's hoping SDL support will suggest a solution.

Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 17:58
German to Swedish
+ ...
Surprise Apr 26, 2014

Richard Hill wrote:

but the solution "deactivate the Java setting 'Enable the next-generation Java Plug-in'" found here no longer works (...)

Some more bad SDL java programming.

Trados is a joke compared to top-of-the-line production applications in other businesses.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Latest CU + Java 8 Apr 28, 2014

Richard Hill wrote:

but the solution "deactivate the Java setting 'Enable the next-generation Java Plug-in'" found here no longer works: http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/208738-f12_stopped_working_after_installing_trados_studio_2011.html

I have lost hours on this, so here's hoping SDL support will suggest a solution.

Hi Richard

If you installed the Cumulative Update 13 for Studio 2011 SP2R, then it also will work with Java 1.7.45 - 1.7.55 and Java 1.8.0 (and higher).

The CU 13 provided the applet that follows the new security prerequisites/standards introduced by Oracle.

You will also not see the Next-Generation Plugin option anymore as this is set by default (as far as I know).

I wrote a small batch script that will uninstall ALL Java version that are installed on your PC and will install the latest Java 8 Update 5 version.

If you want you can download the 'Java Clean Up tool' that I created from here:
ftp://support_downloads:rE4jocZ@ftp-de.sdl.com/Richard/Client-MTJUR/CleanJava.zip

When it is downloaded, unzip the package with WinZip or WinRAR.
After it is extracted do a right-click on the CleanJava.exe and choose "Run as Administrator".
Note: Please close all the SDL applications that are still open before-hand.

You will see several dialogs popping up (please do not get scared) as it is just the routine of finding and uninstalling the Java versions. Afterwards a dialog will pop-up, will install Java 8 Update 5 and when this is finished click on Close.

Preferable restart your PC but you can try first to add/edit terms again.

Kind regards
Richard | Support Engineer | SDL | Language Technologies Division |

Have a problem with SDL products? Maybe you already can find an answer in our Knowledge Base here: http://kb.sdl.com
Here you find solutions to known issues and many more....
If you want to keep up-2-date with the latest released articles you can also follow me on Twitter here: https://twitter.com/Richard___P

United Kingdom
English
Keyboard shortcut.... Apr 28, 2014

Hi Richard

Just another short update...
...I tested it with the latest Studio 2014 version and the shortcut is working as expected again.

In Studio 2011 SP2R it seems to not focus it correctly. But a simple click in the segment or as you did, will allow you to use the shortcut.

Regards
Richard

Mexico
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
To summarize... Apr 28, 2014

SDL Support wrote:

a simple click in the segment or as you did, will allow you to use the shortcut.

Richard

Hi Richard,

Am I right in saying that, after all, this workaround works with Studio 2014 but no 2011?

I followed your instructions, and it behaves exactly the same as before, in other words I must click the white area of the termbase viewer to use the save term (F12) shortcut.

What do you mean by a "simple click in the segment"? A need to click anywhere totally defeats the purpose of having a shortcut.

I appreciate your response and your attempt to fix this issue, but unless I'm missing something, it seems not to have worked.

Will this issue be fixed for Studio 2011, or will only 2014 users have the pleasure of having it work properly?

-Richard

Julia Esrom  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Multiterm also not working with SDL 2014 Apr 29, 2014

Richard Hill wrote:

Will this issue be fixed for Studio 2011, or will only 2014 users have the pleasure of having it work properly?

-Richard

No, I'm sorry to say that 2014 users also don't have the pleasure of having it work properly. Since my upgrade to Studio 2014, Multiterm is not working at all. Yes, I have read several threads on this topic and tried various fixes. Nothing works. Now I have upgraded Java again, I still get an error message about a script.

Having purchased a rather expensive CAT-tool I should think that it works straight away without having to sign up for the costly technical service. Multiterm has always been a very useful tool and I am disappointed that it still isn't working. Is there any quick fix that may have come up with the most recent Java version or do I really have to invest in another CAT-tool? The trial version of memoQ looks very promising.

Perhaps SDL has something to add. A constructive solution would be much appreciated.

Vocabulum
I managed to overcome this Apr 29, 2014

issue. I was thrilled to see that a key combo which worked on Monday, failed to work on Tuesday...
Nevertheless, I removed all Java applications via Control Panel (W7 64 bit), and restarted my PC. I launched Studio 2011, and called out the CTRL+F11 function. An embedded instruction in the Multiterm window requested me to click on the button in the same panel, and then the most up to date Java got installed. Now it works flawlessly, I can add terms again as before.

I hope this helps

V

United Kingdom
English
Switch dialogs with CTRL+Tab Apr 29, 2014

Richard Hill wrote:

A need to click anywhere totally defeats the purpose of having a shortcut.

True.

Maybe the keyboard shortcut CTRL+Tab for switching between the dialogs helps you more instead of using the mouse to click somewhere.

Regards
Richard

Mexico
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Will this issue be fixed for Studio 2011? Apr 29, 2014

The above was the question in my previous post, and having received this response:

SDL Support wrote:

Maybe the keyboard shortcut CTRL+Tab for switching between the dialogs helps you more instead of using the mouse to click somewhere.

I guess that means "NO".

The suggested "help" is even clumsier as it involves several keyboard strokes to add the term then get back to the segment.

Julia Esrom wrote:

The trial version of memoQ looks very promising.

I'll be checking out the trial version of memoQ when I make up for lost time spent on this issue and actually manage to get some translation done.

Anne Lee  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:58
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
I also feel let down by Trados Apr 29, 2014

This thread reflects my exact experience of the last few weeks. I have been working happily with SDLX for many years before buying Trados Studio 2011. After experiencing a crisis when I could not export a file in Trados, I decided to upgrade from Studio 2011 to Studio 2014, because this was required to buy a support contract. The upgrade and the support cost a huge amount of money, which I now wish that I had spent on MemoQ.
When my MultiTerm stopped working as it should, I submitted a ticket, asking for help on a Friday afternoon. On Monday, I was simply sent a link to a web page about the Java problem.

This was followed by a brief: 'Are you OK now', but I did not get the top-tier support that I paid for, that I had expected and that I used to receive from Trados many years ago.
I now realise that my problem is a general bug experienced by lots of translators. After downgrading Java to a previous version, my Multiterm is still not working as it should and I have virtually given up on it. Just like the other posters, I am fed up with Trados, while I am hugely impressed with MemoQ. It is not a fluke that there are 47 people on the waiting list for the MemoQ GroupBuy.

Miguel Carmona  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:58
English to Spanish
Unacceptable situation Apr 29, 2014

@Anne,

This horrible situation with Trados Studio that you, me and countless other translators describe is simply unacceptable.

Just a few weeks ago I bought a real nice, powerful brand new computer with an i7 CPU. When I installed Trados Studio 2011, it installed Java 6.0_24, which is a very old version (several years old).

I right away tested Studio and Multiterm and worked fine (and to this day they keep working fine), but for fear that any updates might disturb this apparently stable situation, I immediately disabled all automatic updates both on Java and Trados Studio 2011, in order to be able to keep using Studio without any of those time-wasting problems that we all have been reporting for ages.

With the continuous browsing that we have to do for our work, by me having to use such an old versión of Java, I feel that SDL forces me to expose my computer to God knows what perils on the web.

The patches that SDL comes up with from time to time, seem to work for some, but not for many, so the situation remains for the most part unsolved.

Mexico
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Solved, for now at least. Apr 29, 2014

See Martina's solution here: http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/268408-updated_trados_studio_java_now_multiterm_not_working.html

Anne Lee  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:58
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
In fairness, my problem is also solved. Apr 30, 2014

It is only fair to post a follow-up to my earlier complaint. Under my support contract I've just had a constructive 'repair' session with remote control on my desktop and my problem has now also been solved. It was definitely an issue with Java but it's sorted now.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Multiterm. Add term shortcut no longer works.

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search