Trados Studio 2014 SP1 - Alignment Tool - lack of functionality?
Thread poster: George Cook

George Cook
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:37
French to English
+ ...
Apr 30, 2014

Not good, I'm afraid. The long-awaited alignment editor has a completely ignored a couple of fundamental functions:

1) There does not appear to be any way of merging/splitting aligned segments; this was one of the most useful/necessary functions in WinAlign.

2) I cannot even begin to assert how infuriating it is that the source and target columns do not scroll synchronously (even the same slightly jumpy way it happens in WinAlign would be preferable to the current mess of wavy lines).

Of course, they may be some way of doing both of these, but I cannot find any way of changing the settings of the alignment editor. None of the functions I have mentioned appear in the list of Alignment keyboard shortcuts either, so it seems they do not exist.

It looks suspiciously like whoever designed the alignment editor hasn't ever done any aligning in a real-world scenario. Without these basic functions it is sadly largely useless.

Back to WinAlign it is, then, unless anyone can enlighten me!

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:37
English
A few suggestions... Apr 30, 2014

George Cook wrote:

1) There does not appear to be any way of merging/splitting aligned segments; this was one of the most useful/necessary functions in WinAlign.

Merging is less necessary as you just link one to two or three for example. Does the same thing.

Splitting was discussed at length during the Beta as it does need to be there. This should be added in due course. In the meantime you can save the alignment as SDLXLIFF when you've done most of it, and this allows you to do a few things:

1. Split segments and correct them (a workaround... you don't need to tell me!)
2. You can QA the alignment, and if you went to the bother of needing to align the segments then QA may be good next step anyway.

George Cook wrote:

2) I cannot even begin to assert how infuriating it is that the source and target columns do not scroll synchronously (even the same slightly jumpy way it happens in WinAlign would be preferable to the current mess of wavy lines).

Completely agreed and this is also something that will continue to improve. One very useful tip however, if you have columns of text that are so misaligned because of the differences between the documents, and you have to scroll a lot and find it infuriating is to disconnect everything, then connect some manually, especially around the worst areas, and then use the Realign function. This does a pretty good job of getting things back on the straight and narrow.

You might also find working with the alignment edit mode is useful because it can be easier to see what you're doing when the columns are so far apart because of the way the text is segmented in each file.

We are working on more improvements to this, but given the choice of not releasing yet versus releasing it was a no brainer. In general, despite the current shortcomings it does work pretty well.

I just did an 11k segment alignment with some very difficult documents for a user this afternoon and the results were very good with just a few little tricks.

I hope that helps a little, and you can expect to see this improved further in the near future.

Regards

Paul

George Cook
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:37
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good to know May 1, 2014

Thanks for the reply, Paul. Reliable and honest, as always.

Good to know that these issues are in hand. I certainly agree that it's better to release something than nothing. Looking forward to seeing improvements shortly.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Studio 2014 SP1 - Alignment Tool - lack of functionality?

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search