Thread poster: Laura Schevers

Laura Schevers
Netherlands
Local time: 12:26
Member (2015)
German to Dutch
+ ...
May 5, 2014

A quick question: is there a way to excluse numbers and measurements from the Analyse Files Report? My client doesn't want to pay for translated numbers and measurements, so I want to know how much words I can charge. I hope I can do that quickly.

Thanks in advance.

Kind regard,

Laura Schevers

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:26
English
Yes... May 5, 2014

... there is a way. But it may not be quite so straightforward as it depends on the context of your text. You also didn't mention what version of the software you are using... although I presume it's something from SDL Trados?

First of all Studio separates tags and placeables in the analysis. Numbers are placeables that Studio recognises as a number. Placeables can be anything Studio automatically handles such as recognised numbers, units, dates, variables etc. So there is no straightforward separate numbers and units only.

If they are number only segments, so they are not part of a longer sentence, then it's more straightforward because here you can specifically lock all of these segments either by using the display filter, or if it's a larger project by using the SDLXLIFF Toolkit. This is helpful if you have Studio 2014 because locked segments are reported separately, so then you know for sure that you are discounting the numbers and units only.

Whether you should be discounting this or not is another discussion, because you still need to check them and make sure they are handled correctly by Studio and you may have to spend time correcting them if they are not.

One reason they may not be handled automatically is if the format of the numbers and units have not been written in the way Studio expects. So here it may be wise to think about making some changes to the source before you work if you are not going to be paid for the effort to ensure Studio recognises everything you are not expected to touch.

There are a couple of articles that might be useful here, but Studio 2014 has this additional feature to separate locked segments that may not be mentioned in these articles.

Identifying numbers in your analysis
http://wp.me/p2xDjK-eK

So how many words do you think it is?
http://wp.me/p2xDjK-cK

I hope this helps.

Regards

Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Excluding numbers in Analyze Files Report

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search