Verify function Works poorly in Trados Studio 2014 SP1.
Thread poster: Michiel Zijlstra

Michiel Zijlstra  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:42
Member (2005)
English to Dutch
+ ...
May 6, 2014

I installed Trados Studio 2014 SP1 and found that the Verify function (F8) misses several errors which are detected in Trados Studio (the version prior to SP1).

First of all, when I click the corner of the Verify Document button to open the verification settings, the Project Settings dialog is opened instead of the Options dialog with the verification settings.

I noticed that several errors are not found, for example:
repeated words
extra space at the end of segment
double spaces
source and target ending with same punctuation
capitalization of initial letters

I did select these checks in the options dialog.
Number checking seems to be working OK.

Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
It always has... I avoid using it! May 6, 2014

My studio 14 underlines repeated words in red as I complete the segment.

As for the numbers and punctuation at the end of the sentence, they were a pain in the neck anyway IMHO. My source and target languages often have diferent rules.
The check on capitals is a nuisance too as far as I am concerned, but that still throws up (false) errors.

The trouble is that Trados cannot distinguish between perfectly correct differences due to different languages, and real errors.

In my source languages, the ordinal numbers are written with a full stop.
1. 2. 3. etc. would be translated as 1st, 2nd 3rd ... or even first, second, third - Danish uses figures in prose where many English writers would not. Studio flags 'incorrectly localized' when in fact it would be wrong to leave them as in the source.

Days of the week, months and other nouns are not all capitalised in some languages like Danish and French, but they are in English and German.
More false errors.

I have sat combing through literally hundreds of false errors on occasions - and missed the real ones.
Apart from one client who insists that I use the Studio F8, I skip it and check in Word and visually instead.

I think Studio is great for most things, but that function is far too primitive to be any use to me at least.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Maybe a couple of things here... May 6, 2014

First of all make sure you understand the difference between File -> Options and Project Settings. Both contain verification settings and if you change the one that is not relevant to where you are working you won't see any difference. (Apologies if this is not the issue... and happy to look at this with you?)

Secondly, if the default rules don't work for you because Studio doesn't have built in all the peculiarities of language and of client specific habits, then switch off the offending defaults so you don't check for them and create your own using the custom regex capability.

The verification in Studio certainly doesn't cover all things for all users and it can always be improved, but it is pretty flexible when used to suit your circumstances.

Regards

Paul

Member (2005)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
See screenshot May 6, 2014

SDL Support wrote:

(happy to look at this with you?)

Dear Paul,

I hope you can explain me how to configure the verification settings as I understand from your answer that this should NOT be done using File > Options > Verification.

I cannot configure these settings in the dialog that opens......

See what happens in this screenshot: http://postimg.org/image/ptz772mn1/

Michiel

[Edited at 2014-05-06 14:25 GMT]

Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Xbench Plug-in 10 May 6, 2014

You can also give the above plug-in a go with Xbench 3.0 installed.

HTH,

Bernard

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
ok - you didn't tell me... May 6, 2014

Michiel Zijlstra wrote:

SDL Support wrote:

(happy to look at this with you?)

Dear Paul,

I hope you can explain me how to configure the verification settings as I understand from your answer that this should NOT be done using File > Options > Verification.

I cannot configure these settings in the dialog that opens......

... you were working on a Server Project. Here the verification settings are controlled by whoever created the project online. You have not been been given rights to change these (it's customisable).

Normally the place you have clicked is exactly right and if you do this on a Project that you created you'll see the difference.

Regards

Paul

Member (2005)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks May 6, 2014

OK, that makes sense.
Thanks for your help.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Verify function Works poorly in Trados Studio 2014 SP1.

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search