Localizing punctuation, numbers, currency, etc.
Thread poster: Scubabe
May 8, 2014

Hi everyone,

This is a long running issue for me. When translating from French to English, Trados will retain certain French formatting that I don't want such as:

- keeping an unwanted space before certain punctuation, like a ? or °C
- currency is only partially translated properly (example: it translates the French 4000,00 $ as $4000,00 instead of $4,000.00)

Trados also changes things I don't want it to. For example, in lists, it changes the French

a)
b)
c)

etc. to:

A)
B)
C)

Is there an easy way to correct this?

Any suggestions are appreciated!
Rhonda

Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:18
English to French
+ ...
Link May 9, 2014

Check the following link: http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/268079-how_to_control_digit_grouping_in_trados_studio_2014.html

In your case, the regular expression rule file should be as follows:

([a-z]+) \? \1?
([0-9]+)\ °C \1°C
([0-9]+)([0-9]+),([0-9]+) \$ $\1,\2.\3
([a-z]+)\) \1)

Can't quite see the relevance of your last request - should be automatic formatting but the last entry should take care of it.

HTH,

Bernard

Drop me an e-mail if you're stuck.

Scubabe
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Bernard May 9, 2014

Thanks Bernard for your help.

Yikes, I didn't realize correcting this would involve downloading files and entering something that may be what - code? A little intimidating...

The last thing I need is for something to screw up again. (Multiterm stoppped working after I installed the latest cumulative upgrade to Trados 2011 - 5 days and 2 SDL tech reps later, Multiterm is working but with limited functionality). I may have to just live with search & replace until I get over the shock from last weekicon_wink.gif

I'll keep your suggestions and will try it when I'm feeling more courageous.
Rhonda

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Localizing punctuation, numbers, currency, etc.

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search