Localizing punctuation, numbers, currency, etc.
Thread poster: Scubabe
May 8, 2014

Hi everyone,

This is a long running issue for me. When translating from French to English, Trados will retain certain French formatting that I don't want such as:

- keeping an unwanted space before certain punctuation, like a ? or °C
- currency is only partially translated properly (example: it translates the French 4000,00 $ as $4000,00 instead of $4,000.00)

Trados also changes things I don't want it to. For example, in lists, it changes the French

a)
b)
c)

etc. to:

A)
B)
C)

Is there an easy way to correct this?

Any suggestions are appreciated!
Rhonda

Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:16
English to French
+ ...
Link May 9, 2014

Check the following link: http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/268079-how_to_control_digit_grouping_in_trados_studio_2014.html

In your case, the regular expression rule file should be as follows:

([a-z]+) \? \1?
([0-9]+)\ °C \1°C
([0-9]+)([0-9]+),([0-9]+) \$ $\1,\2.\3
([a-z]+)\) \1)

Can't quite see the relevance of your last request - should be automatic formatting but the last entry should take care of it.

HTH,

Bernard

Drop me an e-mail if you're stuck.

Scubabe
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Bernard May 9, 2014

Thanks Bernard for your help.

Yikes, I didn't realize correcting this would involve downloading files and entering something that may be what - code? A little intimidating...

The last thing I need is for something to screw up again. (Multiterm stoppped working after I installed the latest cumulative upgrade to Trados 2011 - 5 days and 2 SDL tech reps later, Multiterm is working but with limited functionality). I may have to just live with search & replace until I get over the shock from last weekicon_wink.gif

I'll keep your suggestions and will try it when I'm feeling more courageous.
Rhonda

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Localizing punctuation, numbers, currency, etc.

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search