Thread poster: judith ryan

judith ryan  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 06:33
Member (2005)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
May 10, 2014

I am being required o use Trados by a key client. I have always used Wordfast (WordfastPro), and am very happy with it. Wordfast Pro Auto-Suggest feature allows users to automatically insert numbers, email addresses, URLs, upper-case words and terminology equivalents from the source to the target cell. I cannot find this same functionality in Trados, it must exist, but the software is so unbelievably non user friendly I can't find it.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks!

Ernesto Du Solier
Mexico
Local time: 04:33
English to Spanish
AutoSuggest Overview May 11, 2014

Hi Judith,

This might help you:

http://producthelp.sdl.com/sdl%20trados%20studio/client_en/Setting_Preferences/AutoSuggest/Pref_Overview_AutoSuggest.htm

It should work for Studio 2011 and 2014, I think; but please note that not all versions of Studio will include the function.

Another way is using a termbase, and Trados will automatically markup the terms in your termbase and autosuggest their target term while typing the first letter(s) of the term, then you just click Tab key to insert (basically the same as above).

Hope it helps.

Brazil
Member (2005)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Trados vs. Wordfast May 11, 2014

Thanks" What I am looking for is, for example, a person's name, or a city name, etc. In WF I just type the first word and the entire word comes up, I click enter and away I go. I don't have to add it to the term-base. It's a very useful feature, especially as it's seamless - it's all just tere in the same workspace. I am really struggling with Trados, very user un-friendly"

Ernesto Du Solier
Mexico
Local time: 04:33
English to Spanish
Maybe.. May 11, 2014

Ah, I see now.

Well, it seems Trados doesn't have that seamless way of working.

Still, you can use QuickPlace (CTRL + ,). These are called recognized tokens http://producthelp.sdl.com/sdl%20trados%20studio/client_en/TM_concepts/About-Recognized-Tokens.html

You set up the parameters in the TM configuration.
Under Project > Project Settings > Language Pairs, All Languages > Translation Memory and Automated Translation > (select the appropriate TM) > (click Settings button) > then select Fields and Settings > in the bottom, check the settings you want..

And, ok, you're right.. that's nowhere near user friendly!

Hope it helps.

[Edited at 2014-05-12 01:30 GMT]

Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:33
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Why not copying the sdlxliff file from the Studio project? May 12, 2014

Dear Judith,

although I am not a Wordfast user, I wonder why you don´t process the Studio file (not the project) in Wordfast. I am doing so with Deja Vu, so it must be possible to do so with Wordfast, too. I am just asking because I also hate translating with Studio, but I am looking for an alternative to Deja Vu, too, because DV cannot process numbers. That´s why your question came to my attention.
Best regards,

Matthias

Brazil
Member (2005)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Trados v. Wordfast May 12, 2014

Thank you all for your suggestions. I will try them. As far as those of you looking for options, I am extremely happy with Wordfast ... it's extremely easy to use, makes my work much faster and more accurate!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to use Trados Autosuggest function?

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 only €435 / $519
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €435 / $519 / £345 / ¥63000 You will also receive FREE access to Studio 2019 when released.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search