https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/269032-memory_cleanup_shrinking_needed_%E2%80%94_how_2009.html

Memory cleanup/shrinking needed — how? (2009)
Thread poster: Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 04:36
English to Polish
+ ...
May 10, 2014

SDL Trados Studio 2009. What I have:

A TM with 2000 units, many of which are 95-99% or even 100% matches. This does include a small number of identical segments with minor differences, as well 95-99% matches with significant syntactical or grammatical differences where simply mutliple different ways of saying the same thing are viable.

I would like to streamline the whole thing and get rid of the variety which this particular TM does not need because it's tech/legal stu
... See more
SDL Trados Studio 2009. What I have:

A TM with 2000 units, many of which are 95-99% or even 100% matches. This does include a small number of identical segments with minor differences, as well 95-99% matches with significant syntactical or grammatical differences where simply mutliple different ways of saying the same thing are viable.

I would like to streamline the whole thing and get rid of the variety which this particular TM does not need because it's tech/legal stuff that should be as standard as possible.

Is there an automated or semi-automated way so that I can avoid manual edits?

Thanks.
Collapse

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
SDLTmConvert app May 10, 2014

You could use the SDLTmConvert app to convert your TM to an XLIFF file.
http://www.translationzone.com/openexchange/app/sdltmconvert-522.html?c=51222

It's easier to see all the segments in the Studio editor view than in the Translation Memories view and make any changes you want. 2000 units should be a manageable number to sort out. Filter
... See more
You could use the SDLTmConvert app to convert your TM to an XLIFF file.
http://www.translationzone.com/openexchange/app/sdltmconvert-522.html?c=51222

It's easier to see all the segments in the Studio editor view than in the Translation Memories view and make any changes you want. 2000 units should be a manageable number to sort out. Filter by certain words to work on similar segments in the same view, and then export the confirmed segments to a new TM.

You could also use the same app to convert the TM a csv or txt file if you're happier editing in a text editor.

Make sure you save a copy of your TM before you convert it, just in case!
Collapse

Marketing-Lang.
Marketing-Lang.  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Super tip... May 13, 2014

That's a great tip, Emma. I've been wondering for a while now about how I can clean up a long-standing TM with over 150.000 pairs and I think you may have put me on the right path...
Unless anybody has a better suggestion?
-Mike

[Edited at 2014-05-13 13:56 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Memory cleanup/shrinking needed — how? (2009)

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »