Thread poster: Jutta Deichselberger

Jutta Deichselberger  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:13
Member (2004)
French to German
+ ...
May 12, 2014

Dear all,

I received from a client an xml file with embedded content (exported from Typo 3) in order to translate it in Trados Studio 2011. Now I have created for this file an xml file type in which I imported the xml file the client sent me. Under „File detection“ appears the root name of the imported file. So, everything should be fine and Studio should know that it has to assign the xml file type I have just created to the xml file the client sent me. Everything looks good but I would like to check it.

My question:
Where can I see whether the file type assignation is correct, i.e., whether Studio really assigns the file type I have just created to the Typo3-xml the client sent me?? When I open the corresponding xliff I can see under "project settings" several xml file types (amongst others, the file type I have just created), but they are all checked... So I don’t know which one is used...
Sorry, my English isn’t very good. I hope you understood what I mean and someone can give me an answer!

Have a nice day!

Jutta

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Several places... May 12, 2014

... the easiest being when you add it in the Project Wizard. The filetype ID (Filetype Identifier) will be shown. Of course if the creator of the filetype did not change this and left it at AnyXML then you won't know!

Also if you look in the Files View for your project you will see the Filetype ID in one of the columns so you can see which filetype was used for each file.

The other place is to change the display to Tag ID mode so you see numbers inside the tags as you work in the Editor. The other effect this has is to display the Filetype ID in the orange tab at the top when the file is opened.

Regards

Paul

Member (2004)
French to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Paul May 12, 2014

Something strange happens:

I oppened the file in Trados.
I changed to tag ID mode and the correct filetype ID (i.e. the filetype ID corresponding to the xml filetype I have created) appears in the orange tab.
However, in the files view of the same file appears another file type identifier (SDL XLIFF 1.0 v. 1.0.0.0 which is not the one I created).

How ist this possible and which file type is really assigneted to the xml file I am translating...??

I have not been able to test the first possibility (to add it in the Project Wizard) as I don't know what you mean (my English ist too bad). Could you please explain it to me? Thanks a lot.

Best regards!

Jutta

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Filetype Identifier... May 12, 2014

Hi Jutta,

To be honest I don't recall customising my Files View at all, so I think this must be present in Studio 2014 by default. But I checked Studio 2011 and it is not. So, right-click on the titles of the columns in the Files View, select custom and then add the Filetype Identifier to your list of columns. Then place it where you want. This works for me.

On the Project Wizard. When you add your files for translation the filetype identifier is shown by default. So you can see this as you add the files.

Regards

Paul

Member (2004)
French to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you very much Paul! May 12, 2014

Nevertheless, for the two file types I created importing the xml file (and not an ini-file), the "correct" file type (that means the one I created and that shall be used and that I think I am using...) only shows in tag ID mode in the orange tab.

In the files view and any other view appears SDL XLIFF 1.0 v.1.0.0.0 ....

For any other file type (that means for xml file types created by me importing an ini-file, or for Excel files oder Powerpoint files) the file type shown in the orange tab is corresponding exactly to the file type shown in the files view...

Do you think I am working with the correct file type if it's "only" shown in the orange tab??

Thank you very much and best regards!

Jutta

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2011 - correct assignation of xml file type

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search