Help!! translation provider deactivated
Thread poster: raphafra
raphafra
English to French
May 13, 2014

Hello,

I am having a recurring problem with Studio 2011 (SP 2R - 10.4.3123.2) that also appears when I work in Studio 2009. I am using Windows 7 on a PC.
When I try to work with a package a client has sent me, everything goes normally to open the package but as soon as I try to open one of the files from the package, I am prompted by Studio to enter server connexion details which I do not have because the project does not use a server based TM.
If I click on Cancel, I get the following message:
The translation provider xxx could not be opened and has been disabled. Please check that you have entered the correct server connection settings and that the server is available.

Thereafter I have no TM to work with in the particular project.

The only thing that helps is when I ask my client to send me the TM separately, save it on my computer and link it manually to the project (by ticking the "Enabled" field in the Project Settings/Language pair). This is an emergency solution and I cannot be doing this on a regular basis because this represents additional work for the project managers (and me, of course).

Researching the Internet about this problem, I came across the following page which seems to describe exactly my problem:
http://producthelp.sdl.com/kb/Articles/4709.html
However: This page suggests that the problem is with the client when they create the package but I seem to be the only translator who gets this error message, so the project manager tells me and it happens with all my clients who use packages (it didn't used to previously, I think).

Has anyone had the same problem before and found a solution to it? I am really desperate !

Thank you so much for any hint!

Direct link Reply with quote

juliaB
Belgium
Local time: 18:23
English to French
+ ...
Same problem Nov 11, 2014

Hi Raphafra,

I am having the same problem. When I try to activate the server-based TM or to change the TM settings I get this message "The translation provider xxx could not be opened and has been disabled."

Did you find any solution? I am quite desperate.

Thanks a lot,

Julia

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:23
English
This is not a bug... Nov 11, 2014

... it simply means that the details in the Package refer to a TM that was not provided to you. So all you have to do is cancel the connection, and if you need the TM just ask for it from your client.

This could be a server connection and they would be able to make this available to you, or it could even be a file based TM that they just didn't include in the package.

Studio 2011 was harder to deal with because it often "hung onto" the TM settings in the Project even though you disabled it and you had to disable the connection every time you opened it. One way to get around this is to create an empty TM with the same name and then select it so Studio is fooled. Studio 2014 handles this much better and when you cancel it you should not be asked for it again.

But if you need the TM then you will have to go back to your client ask for more information about where it is (Server connection or make a file-based TM available to you).

Regards

Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help!! translation provider deactivated

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search