Do I need to translate these?
Thread poster: yakky

yakky  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 02:15
English to Chinese
+ ...
May 14, 2014

I have some xml files to be translated. But I am not familiar with this kind of translation, so I am wondering whether I should translate those text contents in tag itself. for example, the xml file looks like (I have changed " < " to "(" and " > " to ")", in order to show it correctly.):

-(item textY="0" textX="0" backgroundColor="0xFFFFFF" file="" Headline="Drive")
-(item Headline="Function" URL_SWF="akka_funktion.swf")
-(text)
(![CDATA[(font face="Arial, Helvetica" color="#000000" size="12")(b)Swivel drive(/b)(br)Operation(/font)]])
(/text) (/item)

I know I should translate "Swivel drive" and "Operation", but should the words "Drive" and "Function" be translated and why?
Thanks a lot in advance!

Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 21:15
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Yes May 14, 2014

It is an on-screen text.

yakky  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 02:15
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How can I translate them? May 14, 2014

Sergei Leshchinsky wrote:

It is an on-screen text.

Thank you, Sergei Leshchinsky.
I am using trados Studio 2011 and I find these kind of words are totally ignored by Studio as they are embedded in tags. So if they need to be translated, I have to use a text editor to find and translate them. That is quite troublesome and easy to make mistakes.
So do you know any efficient methods to do this work?

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:15
English
You can of course translate these in Studio too! May 14, 2014

Hi yakky,

XML files can be anything at all and the text to be translated can be determined by all kinds of rules. So, out of the box if you open an XML file in Studio without creating a custom filetype specifically designed to extract what you need you will only get the text in the elements.

If you want to translate the attributes, which is what you are asking here then you need to create a rule to do this. In your case the parser rule you could add to extract this text for translation would be:

//item/@Headline

But, as you also have a CDATA section I reckon you probably have a messy bit of work to do with the html code showing up as well. So you could also improve this by using the embedded content processor. This is easier in 2014 SP1, but is still possible in 2011. So you achieve this:

Using these parser rules:

And these embedded content rules for example:

This is only for the small snippet of code you provided, but perhaps it will help point you in the right direction.

Regards

Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do I need to translate these?

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search