exported pdf's are invalid (Trados Studio 2011)
Thread poster: Katarzyna Slowikova

Katarzyna Slowikova  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:07
English to Czech
+ ...
May 14, 2014

Hi all,
I translated pdf files, import was no problem, but after exporting them I cannot open them with Acrobat, instead getting error message that the file is invalid, ABBYY pdf transformer won't read them either ("invalid file").
Has anybody had a similar problem?
What can be done about it?
Is there any way to export those translations in another format, or make use of them in any other way...?
Thanks for all suggestions,
Katarzyna

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Word file May 14, 2014

If you import a PDF file to translate it in Studio, it will be exported in .doc format.
Try opening your target file in Word.

Germany
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Failure May 14, 2014

I just tried and got a mess like this:

‚ű-ćúeiÎUK“'[ö¸č%"Ç 6˝{™§™ éŚ5úäOń4?9,±˘]˘ U Ă;řÇ?Üđ¦UySń¶ŮsG5/ˇ>0]±úë>ú㬠ÔĆ®WnŞďMV
äUTľŹ|Ěşü™;›ä0 ňGÓÔ¶ÍÔăkŤJąó:´ĺ b ÖĘ’ 7Őiz ČŹ˝’ Ᵽ–ÜkÔ«•±
ۆ< űá’şxě„WT+ßůNđŔW5ń
Ć .í“–p*µµĹý‰ †?ľG‰¬lůŚŚŽ­ŤJő»ĺł«Ős'žř¬źúf­¬•ÚRͦj6VÉaŤ?­Îkăwé“»Ł_$«ŚvîęNy˘˘ť?5ăĺÖεlđč`űůţëťÝť§ŰĎ_ě $‡äíŕźűŮÖÎŢöÎÁVvŕŮţvr

It says "pdf file" in "type" and the icon is like a normal pdf.
I'll try to open it with WOrd 2011 (this one was 2003) but I'm somehow skeptical ://
Thanks anyway for the quick answer.
K.

Germany
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
YES!! May 14, 2014

Word 2011 did it, thanks!!!
But I'd never guess it's a doc file, it's so perfectly disguised.
Again, cheers for you!
Katarzyna

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
PDF always gets converted May 15, 2014

Katarzyna

There is no way to translate a PDF as such because it is not an editable format, so the workaround that Studio uses is that it extracts the text for translation and then saves it in a WORD document.
You will always get a WORD document as target. This is not specific to Studio.

Translating a PDF should always be a "last resort" scenario. Whenever possible, you should ask for the source document that was used to create the PDF in the first place.

Walter

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

exported pdf's are invalid (Trados Studio 2011)

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search