Jiri Lonsky  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 19:22
Member (2011)
English to Czech
+ ...
May 14, 2014

Hi:
I just closed a project (with single file that was reopened after Finalization to implement some changes, and left open for a longer time), then I went to the Projects pane, when all of a sudden vast majority of projects from the list disappeared. When I went to the Documents/Studio 2011 folder, the Projects folder contained only a "projects.xml" file - the rest was gone. Gone was also the entire Translation memories folder. When I searched for one of my old TMs via the "search program
... See more
Hi:
I just closed a project (with single file that was reopened after Finalization to implement some changes, and left open for a longer time), then I went to the Projects pane, when all of a sudden vast majority of projects from the list disappeared. When I went to the Documents/Studio 2011 folder, the Projects folder contained only a "projects.xml" file - the rest was gone. Gone was also the entire Translation memories folder. When I searched for one of my old TMs via the "search programs and files" function, the icon for the TM file appeared, but when clicked, a message came up "The item (TM filename) that this shortcut refers to has been changed or moved, so this shortcut will no longer work properly. Do you wish to delete this shortcut?"
This is a complete mystery to me. I wonder if anyone here has encountered something similar, and could give me some advice. I considered restoring my harddrive from the last restore point, which should work, but I am not in any hurry to do this, except as a last resort.

Many thanks in advance.

Jiri
Collapse

Eileen Cartoon
Eileen Cartoon  Identity Verified
Italian to English
Mystery of mysteries May 14, 2014

I have had that happen and the opposite, I have projects appear in the pane that I have already removed from the list. But not all should be lost. If you click on open project, go to whatever path you had it on and click on the blue project icon for that project and it will reappear on your list.

Hope that helps
Eileen

Jiri Lonsky
Czech Republic
Member (2011)
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It is not possible to follow your suggestion May 15, 2014

In order to be able to click on the blue project icon, I would have to see it somewhere. As I wrote originally, the problem is that the projects formerly contained in the Studio 2011/Projects folder disappeared (that's why they are not on the Project pane in Trados either. Only projects that were located elsewhere (in client folders) remained in the Projects pane listing. Thank you for your suggestion just the same.

Lorenzo Bermejo
Lorenzo Bermejo
English to Spanish
+ ...
very strange May 15, 2014

Jiri, I've been tracking this forum for a couple of years and haven't seen your same problem in any other thread.
maybe you where running some sort of Disk cleaner or Disk scanner before this happened to you? or your computer crashed with Studio open?
have you looked in the Recycle bin if your projects are there? Have you installed a new OS?

Studio can be problematic but I've never read about it being "self-destructive".

kind regards.

Jiri Lonsky
Czech Republic
Member (2011)
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Nothing went wrong with the computer May 15, 2014

Thank you for your input, Lorenzo, I particularly appreciate your mentioning that you've never come across anything like it here in forums, this saves me time looking...
No, I have not been doing anything like disc/drive cleanup in the background, and have not observed any computer issues lately. I did look in the Recycle bin, but none of the files were there...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2011: Projects and TMs lost when closing a project

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »