Tag Editor TMX to Studio sdltm - reduce the amount of tags
Thread poster: MKramer

MKramer
United States
Local time: 07:33
May 15, 2014

Hello everyone,
Tag Editor/Workbench adds many tags to segments. I want to upgrade these TM's to Studio TMs (.sdltm). Is there a way to remove some of these Tag-Editor-only tags, so I can improve my matches in Studio? I work with some files (Word mostly) that have been authored with a LARGE amount of Index Markers, Bookmarks, Cross References, et al.

Does anyone know of a way to reduce the amount of these Tag Editor tags so I can 1) improve my matches in Studio and 2) reduce the amount of Concordance searches for translations that I know are in the TM?

I am currently using Studio 2011 and the Upgrade feature (setting of 'this will be used only in Studio from now on' is used to upgrade).

Any help is appreciated!
Best, Mindy

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:33
English
TM Optimizer May 15, 2014

Hi Mindy,

Try this application that is free on the OpenExchange : http://goo.gl/NcRGht

This is particularly good for cleaning up the old RTF based TMs that loaded unnecessary tagging into a TM. The improved leverage when you then translate in Studio is pretty impressive too.

Regards

Paul

MKramer
United States
TOPIC STARTER
Is there one for Studio 2011? May 15, 2014

Thank you for your comment, Paul, but as I stated, I am using Studio 2011. Is there a version for 2011?

Chunyi Chen
United States
Local time: 05:33
English to Chinese
Import translation units as plain text May 15, 2014

When you import a tmx file to a Studio TM, you can turn on the "import translation units as plain text" feature which should clean most of the tags for you.

http://screencast.com/t/N2ZqOktdf

Chun-yi

MKramer wrote:

Thank you for your comment, Paul, but as I stated, I am using Studio 2011. Is there a version for 2011?

United Kingdom
English
I'm afraid not... May 16, 2014

MKramer wrote:

... this application has only been made available for Studio 2014.

If you feel it is appropriate I can "clean" your TM for you? The text import Chun-yi mentioned will remove the tags too, but of course this removes all the tags, whereas the Optimizer does a clever removal, and also a change, of tags that are inserted when translating with the old RTF based Translation memories so that the leverage you get with the sdltm is improved. If you remove all the tags to have clean text you will get poor leverage for similar texts.

Regards

Paul
pfilkin@sdl.com

MKramer
United States
TOPIC STARTER
TM Optimizer - helps with Word only? May 21, 2014

Hi again, Paul,
I have been able to upgrade to Studio 2014 and have tried the TM optimizer tool. Here is what I did:
1) Using the TM Optimizer, cleaned/upgraded a TMX to a Studio TM. Created a Studio 2014 Project, using this new .sdltm and got a log.
2) Created a Studio 2014 project, and only Upgraded the TMX that I had during the project creation and got a log.

My logs are identical between the 2, so, the Optimizer did nothing for the TM, that the Upgrade process did.

Is the TM optimizer app only good for Word documents? It's mentioned in the Help file that it's specifically for using the Microsoft Word Macro. If the files are .htm, what can I do?

I know that you mentioned that you could review and clean the TM yourself, but I have many different TMs that I need to do this with, and need a way to do it myself.icon_frown.gif

Any suggestions?
Best, Mindy

United Kingdom
English
Maybe a misunderstanding? May 21, 2014

Hi Mindy,

The TM Optimizer tool is really specifically designed for "cleaning" Translation Memories that were created as a result of translating with a combination of Microsoft Word and Translator Workbench. More specifically, translating with the Trados toolbar that is added into Microsoft Word. This combination fills your TM with lots of unnecessary formatting tags that can cause you to lose leverage when you upgrade and start to use a more modern tool. This loss of leverage would even have occurred if you upgraded to use TagEditor! There is an article here on this topic that might be helpful : http://wp.me/p2xDjK-DT

So, if you upgrade a TMX created using TagEditor or Studio using this tool then I would not expect to see any significant changes. Certainly nothing like the changes when you upgrade a TM created from the old Word + Workbench combination.

So I looked back at your original post because I now think I completely misunderstood what you are asking. I think, that the tags you are referring to are going to be in Studio too. This is not just a TagEditor phenomenon. In fact I think any modern CAT tool is very likely to show a similar effect.

So I'm wondering whether using a different upgrade route in Studio might be helpful? When you upgrade a TM you have three options in the wizard under the Compatibility tab.

1. The upgraded TM will be primarily used with new, native source files or file processed only with SDL Trados Studio
  2. The upgraded TM will be primarily used with presegmented SDL Trados ITD or TTX files
  3. The upgraded TM will be primarily used in mixed scenarios

Using the last one can result in slightly larger TMs but it might be helpful if you find you are losing leverage. I think the first one is used by default.

It would also be interesting to see an example of something giving a 100% match in TagEditor and then a corresponding lower match when upgrading the same TM. This would help to explain what's going on... I think.

Regards

Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tag Editor TMX to Studio sdltm - reduce the amount of tags

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search