Thread poster: Heinrich Pesch

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 02:09
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
May 16, 2014

I see when in the context menu the option for merging segments, but it is always grayed out. Under what conditions merging is possible?

J Gallagher  Identity Verified
Finland
English to Finnish
+ ...
Merging segments May 16, 2014

According to Trados (2014) Help:

"You can only merge neighbor segments in the same paragraph."

Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, but the software doesn't know May 16, 2014

J Gallagher wrote:

According to Trados (2014) Help:

"You can only merge neighbor segments in the same paragraph."

This is catch 22. The software has decided they are not in the same paragraph, and there is nothing we can do. So the option for merging should be removed or merging should always be possible, because only humans are able to decide. In fact the software even puts text into different segments where no paragraph mark is present at all, the same sentence continues.

Enote  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to Russian
bad segmentation & some tricks May 16, 2014

I suppose the source text had some misplaced tags (maybe formatting) so Studio treats it as different paragraphs. But we can override this restriction by source edit function. Please see, for example, http://tradosstudiomanual.com/?p=396

Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Just normal text May 16, 2014

What I mean is that no rules can for sure decide, if at some location the phrase should belong to two segments or to one, so merging should always be possible. Otherwise it is plainly silly to offer a merge-option that never can be used.

"....2. X...." will become
"....2.
X...."
and the software decides they segments belong to different paragraphs and cannot be merged.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:09
English
It is only software of course... May 16, 2014

... but there is some logic there and you can change it sometimes.

The software will decide where to segment based on two things:

1. The content of the document
2. Segmentation rules

In your example, this looks like it might be a poorly authored document because normally styles would be used for this and the numbers do not belong with the text at all. In fact Studio would exclude them from view altogether if the document was authored correctly. But I may be misreading what you are trying to show as there is insufficient text either side to make it clear.

However, we all know we get poor documentation from time to time, so in this case I think I would be quite happy to see the segmentation you depict and I would then use the display filter to lock all the "number" segments and then hide them so I only had to handle the text.

Why waste time merging them?

If you really want them together then maybe add an exclusion to the segmentation rules. On your example this would do the trick:

Regards

Paul

Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
All you need is merging May 17, 2014

This is by no way poorly formatted doc. In German nouns have always capital letters, and "...eine 2. Person..." is in no way two paragraphs, not even two sentences.

The software should always make it possible to merge segments, that's what I'm driving after. Only the translator can decide what belongs together in these cases.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:09
English
Ordinal followers May 17, 2014

Hello Heinrich,

Thanks for the clarification, with this example I see your point. You could of course use the method I suggested but in this case a more appropriate way may be to add "Person" to the Ordinal follower list in your language resources. These are also on the TM when you go to the Translation Memories View, right-click your TM and then click on Settings -> language Resources -> Ordinal Followers.

There is already a list of common words for German there but "Person" is not one of them. So extend it.

Maybe this will be an easy solution for you?

On always being able to merge. I agree with you here and I also wish it was possible to always merge anything I wanted. Unfortunately because the structure of the document is important to us for many reasons, and being able to recognise something that has been formatted as a paragraph is also important, we are unable to merge across these paragraph breaks. So when the software sees something that it recognises in this way then you cannot merge them. Of course in your example this is not the case and you can merge these because the 2. and the word Person would be split without the additional ordinal follower or exception to the full stop paragraph segmentation rule, but split within the same paragraph. It's only hard breaks that cause them to be completely different paragraphs.

I hope this helps.

Regards

Paul

[Edited at 2014-05-17 07:23 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to merge segments in Studio?

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search