Studio 2014 - allowing multiple translations by using different field values
Thread poster: tz7

United States
Local time: 12:33
English to Japanese
May 17, 2014

I know you can add different translation for the same source text by "Add as New Translation" but it can't be automatic?

In Trados Workbench, if the project setting is different, you can add the new translation as a new TM entry. In Studio 2014, even I set a different values (in Project Settings > language pairs > Translation Memory and Automated Translation > Updates), the new translation overwrites the old translation in the TM and leaves its "old" values in the new translation. Because of this, I can NOT keep different translations for different projects in the TM. Is there any option or tweak to achieve the same behavior as Workbench, rather than I selectively use "Add as New Translation"?

If the project setting is identical, the old translation should be overwritten by the new one. I don't know the reason why Studio updates translation and leaves old field values with the new values in TM.

Direct link Reply with quote

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:33
The reasoning... May 27, 2014

There are differences in handling here, and these stem from the problems many users encountered in working with fields to control this behaviour in Trados. So in Studio we have attempted to make this easier.

• Field values are no longer used for making a TU unique. The (most of the time implicit) uniqueness was always the thing that created the headaches for Workbench users. You had to be very careful to set the right values and then hope that different TUs would be created; you could never be 100% sure about this.
  • The only thing you need to remember now is to use Add As New Translation. In that case:
    • A new TU will be created with the currently defined fields – they will be unique to this TU if the translation has to be different from other TUs.
    • In all other cases (where translation does not need to change – which is the vast majority of cases) the fields will always be merged into TUs as needed.

So fields will always be merged when the translation does not change, and when it does need to change, or you want to add a new TU anyway then just think of Add As New Translation. This is easier and less confusing.

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2014 - allowing multiple translations by using different field values

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

• All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search