Thread poster: Heinrich Pesch

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 01:45
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
May 19, 2014

I translated a Word-doc of about 40 pages, with TOC and all, in Studio 2014. The original file was many times opened in Word 2010 without any message.
After I saved the translation I opened it in Word 2010, but Word displayed a warning, that "editing this file may harm your computer". It would open it only in compatibility mode.
I opened the translation in OpenOffice Writer, saved it under another name and now Word opens it without message.
So what Studio had done that caused this warning? Is this a reported issue?

Peter Motte  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 00:45
Member (2009)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Normal it warns for a virus May 19, 2014

Normal Word says that, when it supposes there is a virus in your document.
That virus is in the form of Visual Basic.
So there must be some trace of Visual Basic left in the Word document by Trados, or some part of the document hasn't been saved well, like eg an image.
Did you check whether the translated document is a bilingual file? Traces of the codes for bilingual files could be the cause, I guess.

Peter Motte  Identity Verified
Belgium
Member (2009)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Compatibility Mode May 20, 2014

That's what I have found on thet internet:

"Compatibility Mode" exists in Office 2007, 2010 and 2013.

You’ll see Compatibility Mode whenever you open a document that was saved in Word 97-2003 or Word 2007 format.
So it means that Trados 2014 has saved your Word-document in a format which is older than the Word Office version you are using.

It means that not all the features of your version of Word are available to you in that document since they couldn’t be saved in that format. Compatibility Mode is used to ensure that new features of later versions aren’t accidentally introduced into earlier documents, unless you explicitly choose to "upgrade" them. This means that documents created in Word 2007 and before will always display and print correctly in that version of the application, whether or not they’ve been edited in a later version.

If you want to use newer features, or take advantage of the reduced file size or increased robustness of a new format, then click File | Info | Convert. There may be minor layout changes as part of this process; see the Microsoft Office website for information on which features aren’t available in Compatibility Mode.

Word 2010 DOCX files can be opened by Word 2007 and by Word 2003, 2002 (XP) and 2000 if the user has installed the Compatibility Pack, which I did.
In that case there shouldn’t be any problems if you do decide to convert a document to Word 2010 format.

Plus, you can always use File | Save As to downgrade the document to 97-2003 format again later, if necessary. You can get the Compatibility Pack for Office 2000, XP and 2003 from the Microsoft Support site.

When you use the Compatibility Pack to open new format documents in older versions of Office, you’ll find that any features introduced in the newer applications will usually be gracefully downgraded to work with the older version: for instance, Smart Art will be replaced by a simple image of what the Smart Art should look like.

Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not here May 20, 2014

The file was in doc format, not docx, from the start. Only that Studio had put something into the file that generated this warning in Word. Normal compatibility mode is entered sometimes but Word or Excel let you save the file, not here.

Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
My Word 2010 warns me of files from e-mails May 20, 2014

If I open and save an attachment from an e-mail, I get a warning. There is a yellow stripe across the top of the document, which I can click on to activate editing.

I get the warning, even if the document is one of my own, created on the same computer. At present my old printer only works with my old XP computer, so I send myself mails with documents to print and pick them up on the old computer. I also collect other documents that way from the XP system, but they are in Word 2003.

There seems to be a hyperactive security setting somewhere, but I have not found it yet.

Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
This is normal May 20, 2014

Christine Andersen wrote:

If I open and save an attachment from an e-mail, I get a warning. There is a yellow stripe across the top of the document, which I can click on to activate editing.

I get the warning, even if the document is one of my own, created on the same computer. At present my old printer only works with my old XP computer, so I send myself mails with documents to print and pick them up on the old computer. I also collect other documents that way from the XP system, but they are in Word 2003.

There seems to be a hyperactive security setting somewhere, but I have not found it yet.

My warning was on a red banner on top, and no editing was possible nor saving. I should have gone to the advanced settings and allow editing, if I trusted the source (me). I just wonder what it is that Studio has put there.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

After Studio 2014: editing may harm your computer

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search