Fuzzies in Studio
Thread poster: Christin Lee

Christin Lee
Local time: 19:38
May 19, 2014

Hi everyone,

If I set up an empty new TM -- analyze over 10 files which belong to one big project. There will be some fuzzies showing in the result. How should I understand these fuzzies? I mean there're 100% and Reps of course, but, for a new project, why there're fuzzies.

Another linguist said:
Fuzzy matches occur when Trados finds a sentence that has already been translated in the TM that is similar to the sentence in the original. It doesn't compare the sentences in the original, if they are similar. So there is no possibility to get fuzzy matches with an empty TM.

But I do get Fuzzies when starting with an empty TM, could you guys please explain this to me?

Thanks

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:38
English
Are you sure... May 19, 2014

... you are not looking at internal matches? Here the fuzzies will be based on what would happen if you were to translate the file. It's an estimate only, not everyone finds this useful because it will vary depending on the order in which you handle your files.

So even with an empty TM, if you are reporting internal matching you will see fuzzies.

Regards

Paul

Christin Lee
TOPIC STARTER
Internal fuzzies May 24, 2014

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your explanation.

One more question, could you please tell me if what I did below is the right step or not:

1. Set up a new project

2. Import all files for translation

3. Preparing without a TM

4. After I get the new project, I check Reports.

But I can't find the internal fuzzies, I'm wondering maybe there's a button or a tick box to tick, which will make the Internal matches function shows up?

LMK.

Thanks

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:38
English
"Preparing without a TM"? May 24, 2014

Hi Christin,

If you prepare without a TM then you won't get any analysis at all. Maybe you meant "Preparing without a Project TM"? This is different of course.

The settings for what appears in the analysis reports are in your Project Settings under All Language Pairs -> Batch Processing -> Analyse Files and you'll see the second option is "Report internal fuzzy match leverage".

Regards

Paul

Christin Lee
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks May 24, 2014

Thanks a bunch, Paul, you helped me a lot.icon_smile.gif

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Fuzzies in Studio

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search