NOT happy: 2014 SP1 alignment driving me insane
Thread poster: Sian Cooper

Sian Cooper  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 04:54
French to English
+ ...
May 20, 2014

Hi, continuing on from my post earlier this month.

I have just been TRYING to align a source doc and a target doc. Theoretically simple. They are formatted the same, some alignment differences may arise from punctuation changes etc.

I aligned. I fixed. I committed all alignments. I discover, by the by, that I cannot do a 1:many match with more than 3 items on the source side (I needed 4 and had to edit the segments to get around this).

I saved the alignment. I also saved as an sdlxliff. I imported into a new, clean TM, that contains nothing else.

I again have the issue that, despite the fact that I have committed all my alignments, if I set the alignment level at 0, it rejects a large number of them, i.e. does not see them as aligned/meeting whatever the quality criteria are. In order to import all of my aligned, committed segments, I have to raise to 50.

Once I'd got an accepted import, I opened the aligned sdlxliff. And found a considerably chunck in the middle that was misaligned, I will assume I missed it.

I go back to the alignment and navigate (despite the UI's eccentricities, which make life REALLY difficult as soon as there is any complexity) to the segment number as shown in the editor screen. It is not the same segment.

How is that possible, since I have simply opened the sdlxliff that I saved? Possibly, I suppose, because of those rejected segments... but surely my sdlxliff corresponds to my saved alignment file? Apparently not, no.

So now I have to try to FIND the segment - and here the UI makes life even harder.

I then try to fix the alignments.

I end up in such a state of confusion that I decide to disconnect all and realign.

I do not have hours to waste, and I am wasting hours. I want the clunky old version back. At least I could work out what was going on and end up with something that did what it said on the tin.

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:54
Finnish to French
Alternative aligner May 20, 2014

Sian Cooper wrote:
I want the clunky old version back.

I don't think you can "unbundle" the aligner from the previous Studio version while keeping the latest Studio. As an alternative, you may want to give the free LF Aligner a try. I recently made a short video about it.

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Winalign May 20, 2014

Dominique Pivard wrote:

I don't think you can "unbundle" the aligner from the previous Studio version while keeping the latest Studio.

Winalign is still installed as part of the Trados compatibility pack if you don't have Trados 2007 on your computer. You should be able to call it up by searching for it in the Win8 start menu or entering it in the Win7 search box.

I agree, though, that LF Aligner is an excellent alternative.

XXXphxxx  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:54
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Worth forgetting about? May 20, 2014

I tried to align a document in 2014 the other day, intuitively, without watching any tutorials (if there are any) and it was hopeless. Since, in my view, Winalign does a perfectly good job, is the general consensus that it is probably best to stick with that or is it actually worth sitting down and trying to work out how alignment works in 2014?

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Alignment in Studio May 21, 2014

Hi Lisa, Sian,

I was thinking about your posts this evening so I created a short article here and tried to run through some of the things that might make it easier when working with the alignment module : http://wp.me/p2xDjK-Em

This is the initial release, and it will improve as we continue to work on features around this module. I'd also be happy to look at any particular problems you are having and see whether they can be handled in a way to make the experience a more positive one.

Regards

Paul

XXXphxxx  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:54
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Thank you May 21, 2014

Hi Paul,

Thanks very much for that, as always. I need to set aside some time for that, particularly the 17 m. video. It has to be said that any piece of software that requires that much tutoring needs work on it - but I think you've acknowledged that alreadyicon_wink.gif.

As for reasons for aligning files: I sometimes like to proofread my files in their final target version. It obviously makes no sense to make changes and then go back to the file in Studio and double up on my work; so when I do this, I align the files at the end and then import that tmx to my TM. It takes 5-10 min using WinAlign. There may be a simpler way of doing this but I find it works for me.

France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks all for the feedback May 21, 2014

I shall start by thanking Paul because I always feel guilty about him when I'm moaning. Paul you do a great job, but I don't think this product was ready for release; from a usability point of view, it is still in beta. I know you will always try to help, and your help is invaluable.

I have reconfirmed the many:many limitation, but the way - actually, its on the target side I have confirmed it, i.e. I had 2 ST segments and 7 target ones (and that's the sort of time you really need the UI not to be zooming you around up down and sideways) - the many:many option greys out as soon as you select more than 3 target segments.

I sussed the logic between why the segment numbers differ - it is linked to the many-many realigning, the sdlxliff is not aware of it. Indeed, in the sdlxliff you save, from the alignment, source segments that have been aligned together are still seen as separate. So they don't populate, either.

To everyone else, all suggestions are gratefully received and I shall see if I can find WinAlign, and will have a go at LF Aligner, too.

United Kingdom
English
Didn't take 17 mins to explain it... May 21, 2014

... I just decided to run through the complete file looking at different options and ways of working. I hope you can find the time and I hope it's useful.

@Lisa
I see your point on putting the amended work back into a TM this way. I am surprised you don't get a better result though. If you can share a couple of files I'd be glad to take a look and see why it takes so long.

@Sian
Clearly my strategy of making you feel guilty is failingicon_wink.gif Seriously, I would also be very interested to see a couple of files that require this level of alignment, just because there must be either another way of working with the files when preparing them, or because we need to improve the alignment algorithm so you don't have this many.

I appreciate the confidentiality aspects (before anyone tells me off) but if you are able to share something it might be helpful for us all.

Cheers

Paul
pfilkin@sdl.com

France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Will try to share later May 21, 2014

Hi Paul. I try very hard not to wake up in the middle of the night wracked with guilt, it's true!

It is very difficult for me to share any of this particular data due to confidentiality. However, one particular bit that needed the several-to-lots matching was a list of references, I don't think there is any harm sharing that with the world, it is meaningless out of context (is minimally anonymised). I don't know if just this section will help you at all.

The alignment saw this as one or maybe two segments in the ST and (if I remember rightly) seven in the TT. It is understandable that the processing should have some trouble with interpreting this, that is not a surprise; it's just being able to cobble it back together again that is so painful.

2.2, 2.4, 2.13, 2.14, 2.16; sección 5, párrafos e, g y h; sección 6, párrafos 6.5, 6.21, 6.23; sección 7 (xxx) párrafos 7.12, 7.14, 7.73; 7.77, 7.85, 7.104, 7.106, 7.109, 7.136, etc..; sección 8 (xxx), párrafos 8.14, 8.16, 8.17, 8.21, 8.68, 8.80, 8.95, etc..; sección 9 (xxx) párrafos 9.11, 9.14, 9.34, 9.54, 9.69, 9.80, 9.88, 9.99, etc..; sección 10 (xxx) párrafos 10.13, 10.18, 10.24, 10.48, 10.74, 10.82, 10.84, 10.86, 10.94, etc..; sección 11 (xxx) párrafos 11.10, 11.12, 11.46, 11.64, 11.78, 11.107, 11.114, etc..; sección 12 (xxx) párrafos 12.12, 12.59, 12.79, 12.84, 12.104, 12.120, 12.124, etc..; sección 13 (xxx) párrafos 13.14, 13.64, 13.78, 13.95, 13.103, 13.112, etc…; sección 14 (xxx) párrafos 14.10, 14.12, 14.70, 14.74, 14.91, 14.107, 14.11, 14.135, etc..; sección 15 (xxx) párrafos 15.14, 15.48, 15.83, 15.88, 15.109, 15.112, 15.120, 15.130, etc..; sección 16 (xxx) párrafos 16.11, 16.15, 16.65, 16.67, 16.100, 16.128, 16.144, 16.160, etc).

Cheers, Sian

United Kingdom
English
Can you also share the other language? May 21, 2014

Hi Sian,

If I just have the text for this single pair then I have something to play with. Also, what language flavours you were working with and what type of filetype they were in?

Thanks

Paul

Henning Holthusen  Identity Verified
Philippines
Local time: 10:54
English to German
+ ...
Alternative: Abbyy Aligner May 21, 2014

I can recommend Abbyy Aligner. Its alignment intelligence is very good and it's quite easy to realign segments.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

NOT happy: 2014 SP1 alignment driving me insane

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search