Thread poster: A.K Janjelo

A.K Janjelo
Lebanon
Member (2013)
Arabic to English
+ ...
May 24, 2014

Hello all,

I am new in using Trados studio 2014 and I would like to confirm with the experts here about the following steps.
I am a project to translate that consists of 3 word files, I need to deliver them one after the other based on certain time table, the client asked for a: 1- Clean file, 2-Unclean file and 3- a TMX.

1- To start the translation I went to Open> Translate single document > I chose the source and target language > press ok.

2- I had no TM since its the first time I use the software so I created one named it TM Sym. Yet in the TermBase view I see a blank page with "No open termbase".

On on "Translation Memories" to the bottom left, I did chose the TM I created, yet there is no filter and I see the phrase "No translation units to display" But I guess this is normal since its all new.

3- I started translating by using the "Editor", I type the translation to the right column and after each line is finished I press "Confirm" and move to the following line.

4- After finishing the translation, I click "Save us" to save a clean file and "Save target as" to save an unclean file.

5- In order to have a TMX file, I click on "Translation Memories" and Press "Export", chose a location and i'll have the TMX that the client wanted.

My 2 questions are:
1- Did I miss anything in my steps?

2- While translating, how can I tell the system to memorize this term so it recognize it if it got repeated again? Or does it do that automatically and saves it to the TM I created.

Thank you

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:21
English
On your workflow May 24, 2014

Hi,

The first thing that springs to my mind is what the definition of "clean and unclean" is for your client? This terminology is usually applied when talking about the old bilingual doc format that is used by Trados 2007 and earlier. So if this is the case then the first step would be convert the doc files you received into bilingual doc files, or unclean files. There is an article on this process here that might be helpful as it refers to handling these in Studio:

Unclean… who thought of that?
http://wp.me/s2xDjK-unclean

On your workflow steps specifically:

Step 1: seems ok, but I think I would create a Project instead and add all three files to begin with.

Step 2: you have created a TM but not a termbase. This is why you have the message about no termbase. I don't understand your comment about no filter on the TM, but as this is a new TM there won't be any TM results yet as you rightly pointed out.

Step 3: correct

Step 4: it's the other way around. Save As will save the bilingual file and Save Target As will save the clean file. But note that this refers to the unclean file file being an sdlxliff and not a bilingual doc as mentioned at the start. So this might not be what your client is after.

Step 5: correct. But in addition, once you know what your client is after (bilingual doc unclean file) then you might also want to check the option in the export wizard to export as a Trados TMX as opposed to the TMX Studio prefers. Studio works with both but the format is different and Trados users will prefer the one exported for them.

On your questions:

Q1: answered above

Q2: You are mixing terminology up a little. When you confirm a segment this adds it to the TM and then it will be recognised again. But this is not a term, it is the entire content of the segment. If you want to add terms for reuse then you need to create a termbase and then add the terms to the termbase by selecting the source term and the target term from within the source and target segments and adding them to your termbase.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Paul

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:21
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
First steps in Studio May 24, 2014

As a newcomer to Studio, you might like to read a blog post I wrote on translating your very first file:
http://signsandsymptomsoftranslation.com/2014/01/01/first_file/

Also, remember that whole sentences (or segments) get saved to a Translation Memory automatically when you save and confirm each segment. So your TM starts from zero and grows over time.

However, saving individual terms is a manual process. You have to create a Termbase and add it to your project. Then you can save specific terms to that Termbase by selecting the term in source and target and clicking Ctrl+F2.

Jayne Fox has written a useful blog post that explains how to create a termbase:
http://foxdocs.biz/BetweenTranslations/how-to-create-a-termbase-in-multiterm/

A.K Janjelo
Lebanon
Member (2013)
Arabic to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you May 24, 2014

Hello Paul and Emma,
Thank you two for the positive and useful help, your answers made things clearer to me. If I have other things to request I will sure write it here again.
Regards

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2014 work steps.

Advanced search

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search