Trados Language Mapping Mixed Up
Thread poster: David Greenberg

David Greenberg  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 15:07
Member (2014)
Hebrew to English
+ ...
May 25, 2014

Hi, all.

In an XLIFF file that I am translating from Hebrew (IL) to English (US) (as confirmed by the flags at the lower-right corner), Trados Studio 2014 SP1 acts as if I were translating from English (generic) to English (US). E.g. it shows terms in the termbase viewer in English, and when I use the command to add an entry to the termbase, the source term shows up as English (generic) and the target term shows up as English (US).

The termbase I am using contains Hebrew (generic), English (generic), English (US), and English (UK). The project target language, English (US), is mapped to the termbase's English (generic), and the project's source language, Hebrew (IL), is mapped to the termbase's Hebrew (generic).

Can anyone tell what the problem here is?

Thanks in advance for any help.


 

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:07
English
Not sure... May 26, 2014

Hello David,

I have tried to reproduce this problem, primarily because I have never seen anyone setting up a termbase with both a generic language and sub-languages before. So I wondered if this has something to do with the problem you have encountered. But when I do this and add a term, it is added into the en-US as this is the project language. It does feel odd though to be adding en-US to a termbase that is only searching terms added with the generic English because it won't recognise terms already in your termbase under the en-US variety.

I don't know how large your termbase is, or how complex, but I think that based on the description so far I would consider changing the set up so I had just generic English and generic Hebrew, and then I would add the different flavours as attributes on the synonyms for the term.

This way I could penalise the flavour I didn't want (en-UK in this case), but I could still see en-US and generic (which I guess you intend to be for where a single term is used for both?)

Regards

Paul


 

David Greenberg  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 15:07
Member (2014)
Hebrew to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Still Not Working May 26, 2014

Paul,

Thank you very much for your response.

I've created a new termbase, with only generic Hebrew and generic English, but essentially the same problem remains: the termbase listings appear in English (the target language), and when I try to add a new term, the English term field becomes populated, but the Hebrew does not.

Perhaps this has to do with the "(No input model)" message in the Termbase Viewer?

I should add that I just purchased and started using Trados, so it does not seem likely that I did anything to beak the settings.


 

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:07
English
ok - one other thought. May 26, 2014

Did you select both the source and the target term when you added them? If I only select the source term I can reproduce your effect.

Regards

Paul


 

David Greenberg  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 15:07
Member (2014)
Hebrew to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Nope May 26, 2014

I'm afraid that's not the problem. On the contrary: if I select only the source (Hebrew) term, then neither field is populated.

 

Spanish@Canada
Canada
Local time: 08:07
English to Spanish
+ ...
Redefine base and check both options under Sort order when adding the languages in the definition Apr 30, 2015

Maybe it´s too late but in case somebody else finds it useful. I had the same problem: I had a termbase with over 10 different languages and if I added terms directly in Multiterm I had no problem. However, if I did from the Editor, in English-to-Spanish properly-set projectss, I got two results, depending if I used or not an input model:
-Either only the Source English term would add and the Spanish target would not add
- Or the Spanish would add as Danish (field DA comes alphabetically right after EN).
I created another termbase deleting the Danish language. Then, the Spanish target would add as German (DE comes again after EN).
So I created another termbase and this time when chosing the languages in the definition process, under Sort order I selected both options: Case-sensitive and Ignore non-alphabetic characters.
It seems to be working now, at least with no Input Models. I have to try yet with an Input model.


 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Language Mapping Mixed Up

Advanced search







CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search