Trados on Mac/Parellels > Which Windows version?
Thread poster: Tina Gross
Tina Gross
Tina Gross
English to German
May 27, 2014

Hello all,

After unsuccessfully trying to get some valuable information from both Trados and a local store, I'm wondering if someone can help me here ...

I have been running Trados Studio 2014 on a Mac under Parallels with Windows XP for a long time without any problems. As support for Windows XP has been ended, I would like to purchase a new Windows version, but I have no clue which is best, i.e. causes the least problems. The newest Windows 8.1? Or Windows 7? 32 Bit
... See more
Hello all,

After unsuccessfully trying to get some valuable information from both Trados and a local store, I'm wondering if someone can help me here ...

I have been running Trados Studio 2014 on a Mac under Parallels with Windows XP for a long time without any problems. As support for Windows XP has been ended, I would like to purchase a new Windows version, but I have no clue which is best, i.e. causes the least problems. The newest Windows 8.1? Or Windows 7? 32 Bit or 64 Bit? I know this partly depends on the computer system, but aren't things under Paralells different anyway? As Trados is the only programme I will be using in Parallels, I'd buy the version that works best with it - that's why I'm asking here ...

Thank you so much for your help!
Tina
Collapse

Marcin Jedrysiak
Marcin Jedrysiak
Poland
Local time: 05:22
English to Polish
Windows 7 May 27, 2014

Hi,

I've switched from Windows XP to Windows 7 Pro 64-bit and everything works OK. There're some occasional issues in Word 2010 and old Trados 2007. Other software, including Studio 2014, works perfectly.

Tim van den Oudenhoven
Tim van den Oudenhoven
Germany
Member (2006)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Windows 8 - 32 bit May 27, 2014

I had to make the same change, and like you, I only need my Windows for Trados, so you are better off with the 32 bit option (64 bit is only useful when you are using more than 4GB of RAM on your virtual machine - and you won't use more in your virtual machine anyway).
According to the benchmarks, Windows 8 performs much better on Parallels 8/9 than Windows 7.

By the way, if you disconnect your virtual machine from the internet, you can continue to use XP safely.

ajitrans
ajitrans  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:22
Windows 7, 64-bit May 27, 2014

I can't say which is the best OS to use, but on my Mac, I use Parallels, Windows 7/64-bit and have Studio 2014 installed. On my MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz/Core i7/16GB RAM, Studio is incredibly fast and stable. I've never had a problem.

David

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Does it really matter? May 27, 2014

I am not a Mac user myself, but it seems that any windows version is working under your virtual machine (see comments above), so just take your pick. (that is if "Parallels" = a virtual machine as I understand it)

Curiosity: Like I said before, I don't know anything about Mac, but I do know for a fact that XP under Linux is working perfect, so who cares that Microsoft isn't backing up the system anymore, in this case Linux is the OS!

So, if Mac is the OS, and it works f
... See more
I am not a Mac user myself, but it seems that any windows version is working under your virtual machine (see comments above), so just take your pick. (that is if "Parallels" = a virtual machine as I understand it)

Curiosity: Like I said before, I don't know anything about Mac, but I do know for a fact that XP under Linux is working perfect, so who cares that Microsoft isn't backing up the system anymore, in this case Linux is the OS!

So, if Mac is the OS, and it works fine for you, why changing anything? (it is worth to check it out, it could save you a lot of money).

In short: The operating system is decive, not the software you install on it!

[Edited at 2014-05-27 21:13 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados on Mac/Parellels > Which Windows version?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »