Trados deleted everything and returned to installation wizard
Thread poster: NancyBerube

NancyBerube  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:42
Member (2011)
Portuguese to English
May 27, 2014

I have had SDL Trados Studio 2011 since shortly after its release and have built up some pretty extensive translation memories and term bases. About 3 months ago I opened Trados Studio as normal and was greeted with the installation wizard, it took me through the steps of installing Trados Studio, at which point I realized it had deleted all of my translation memories.
Now it has happened once again and MultiTerm won't even start (it displays an error saying a Connection to MultiTerm could not be established) so I can't even check if I lost all of my termbase entries.

I can't seem to find anyone with the same issue on here. Has this happened to anyone else? And is there anyway to recover my lost files and translation memories that were not exported prior to this required reinstallation?

Thank you!

Nancy

LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:42
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
Search your computer for files with the Trados tm extension May 27, 2014

An installation package is not capable of reaching into your hard disk and deleting existing files in non-program folder locations. Even when you install a new version of the software, legacy files such as TMs and TBs are normally left untouched for you to use/import in the new version.
The files should still be on your computer. Have you tried a search of your hard disk (or external storage if you used it for TMs) for any files with the Studio TM extension (*.sdltm)? I suspect the TMs were just not being saved where you think they were - I often find them in surprising locations.

[Edited at 2014-05-27 22:11 GMT]

NancyBerube  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:42
Member (2011)
Portuguese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Found files May 27, 2014

Thank you Rudolf! I searched my hard disk for the files and found all of my translation memories hiding there (even the ones from months ago that I thought were lost forever). My TBs were left untouched too!

What's interesting though is that this "reinstallation" doesn't happen when I'm installing a new version, it happens out of the blue as if I had never opened SDL Trados before. I have to start from scratch selecting my languages. Quite annoying and seems like some sort of bug.

Thank you again for the help!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados deleted everything and returned to installation wizard

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search