Import a tmx TM in Trados studio 2014
Thread poster: Marion Delarue

Marion Delarue  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:08
Spanish to French
+ ...
May 29, 2014

I believe my question is really basic but I am new using Trados Studio 2014...

I received a translation to do with Studio 2014. The client sent me a package which I opened and started to translate. Everything was going ok until the client told me she sent me the wrong TM, that I had to use a more recent one.

So she sent me an exported TM in tms format.

So what I did is:

from the project, I went to project configuration - translation memories - import - I chose the tmx file and then clicked ok - I let the default options - then clicked ok - finalize - close

But I am not sure if I am using the right TM.

The odd thing is that when I go to Project configuration - translation memories, there are two TM listed, but none has the name of the tmx file I imported.

The client told me to check if I see "statistical annex" in the concordance search but I didn´t find it...

Somebody knows what I should do?

Thank you very much

[Edited at 2014-05-29 14:53 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

IrimiConsulting  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TMX was converted into an .sdltm file May 29, 2014

Trados cannot work directly with TMX files; when you selected the TMX file, Trados should have created a regular Studio memory (file extension .sdltm) and then imported the TMX file. The original TMX file should remain unscathed, and the TM should be created in the same path.

IIRC the name of the converted TMX file will be -_.sdltm or something similar.

Marion Delarue  Identity Verified
Spanish to French
+ ...
Update memory ? May 29, 2014

Hello and many thanks for your prompt answer.

It is true, the files are now _.sdltm.

So if I am working with two TM, when I search for a term, Studio will look in both MT, right?

If I go to Project configuration - Translation memories - there are two TM listed and information about them (name, concordance, update etc.).
All those options are selected except the one that says update.

I don´t know if I should select this box.
What would change?

Thanks again.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Import a tmx TM in Trados studio 2014

Advanced search

Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

• All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search