How many Studio Freelance licences on a LAN?
Thread poster: Hugo Dufort
Hugo Dufort
Hugo Dufort
Canada
Local time: 17:06
English to French
May 30, 2014

Hi! I guess I'm not the first to ask that specific question, but here it is:
I have been working with my partner on a LAN (Workgroup) and we both use SDL Studio 2011/2014. A new translator is supposed to work with us for a large project, and I was wondering if there is a limit on the number of Freelance licenses that can be run on the same local network (a Workgroup, no server/domain). Will we be able to work simultaneously, and connect to a shared TM located on our fileserver (network har
... See more
Hi! I guess I'm not the first to ask that specific question, but here it is:
I have been working with my partner on a LAN (Workgroup) and we both use SDL Studio 2011/2014. A new translator is supposed to work with us for a large project, and I was wondering if there is a limit on the number of Freelance licenses that can be run on the same local network (a Workgroup, no server/domain). Will we be able to work simultaneously, and connect to a shared TM located on our fileserver (network hard disk)?

Thanks.

Hugo
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:06
English
No limit... May 30, 2014

... this was a restriction in Trados days, but since Studio the licensing is different. You cannot run FL on a domain based network, but with workgroup you'll be fine.

See this KB for confirmation : http://kb.sdl.com/kb/article?ArticleId=2671&source=article&c=12&cid=23

Regards

Paul

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:06
Finnish to French
what limitations on sharing a TM? May 31, 2014

SDL Support wrote:
See this KB for confirmation : http://kb.sdl.com/kb/article?ArticleId=2671&source=article&c=12&cid=23

The KB article says: "However, there are limitations on sharing a translation memory"

The OP wanted to "connect to a shared TM located on their fileserver", so what are the limitations?

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Server versus File May 31, 2014

Hi,

The limitations are because in this scenario the OP wants to share a TM that is designed for personal use on his own machine. TM Server, as part of GroupShare, is designed for more without the sort of file locking issues you might get when sharing uncontrolled file based TMs.
... See more
Hi,

The limitations are because in this scenario the OP wants to share a TM that is designed for personal use on his own machine. TM Server, as part of GroupShare, is designed for more without the sort of file locking issues you might get when sharing uncontrolled file based TMs.

There is a KB article on this here : http://kb.sdl.com/kb/article?ArticleId=2550&source=Article&c=12&cid=23 as the technology will allow it, which not every desktop CAT does. How many is a pretty open question as it really depends on what the users are doing. If they were all Project Managers creating projects then I imagine it would not be too successful a solution without using a server solution, but if it's only Translators looking up and updating the TM it might be fine . We have stated three, but this is really because filebased TMs were not designed to be used like this and we don't want to set expectations. But I guess as you already have it there will be no cost to test and see whether it gives you what you need or whether you need to look at something else.

Another alternative worth considering for Freelancers is to share a memsource TM as there is a free plugin to memsource for the Freelance edition on the OpenExchange : http://goo.gl/haCxTN You will have to pay for the memsource hosted capability, but it might be something worth looking at.

Regards

Paul
Collapse

IrimiConsulting
IrimiConsulting  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2010)
English to Swedish
+ ...
We regularly share a TM between three users Jun 3, 2014

We keep all documents on a NAS and up to three users access them. No problems so far with any of our CAT tools. But i warmly recommend a fast NAS and a gigabit network for quick lookup.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How many Studio Freelance licences on a LAN?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »