Thread poster: Christian Schoenberg

Christian Schoenberg  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:24
Member (2004)
Danish to English
+ ...
Jun 1, 2014

Just tried to load a file into MultiTerm 2014 Extract SP1 and it stopped working during file extraction (except the 'Time elapsed' function keeps counting). I reviewed the relevant knowledge base article (KB #4523 | SDL MultiTerm Extract stops working during term extraction - http://kb.sdl.com/#tab:homeTab:crumb:7:artId:4523) but that's really not much help.
--------------------
"This behavior might be caused by a glitch in Java that prevents the system processing necessary commands in the background during the extraction process and therefore gets stuck.
This behavior might also occur when you have Oracle Java Runtime Environment (JRE) version 1.7.0_XX installed on your operating system that prevents the system processing necessary commands. SDL is aware of the problem of SDL MultiTerm Extract combined with the Oracle Java Runtime Environment (JRE) version 1.7.0_XX and is working on a solution."
-------------------
This was apparently reviewed in October 2013 - anyone know if they ever did come up with a solution? I've read somewhere that SDL actually suggests disabling Java altogether - but surely that can't be solution since the rest of my software environment (and that of most other PC users) depends on Java.

By the bye, I am using Java Standard Edition Version 8 (build 1.8.0-b132), Windows 7 (x64).

I bought Extract in 2014 in March - I'm certain I wouldn't have done so had I known about this.

Any help much appreciated.
Christian

P.S.: I just have to say this - on a not-unrelated note - I'm gobsmacked how user unfriendly SDL's website is... especially the support section. Am I the only one??

mps1
Spain
Local time: 15:24
English to Spanish
+ ...
SDL Trados 2014: user unfriendly Jun 2, 2014

I am jumping from Trados 6.5 directly to SDL Trados 2014. I thinks its completely unfriendly. If you want to use Multiterm independently, it will not find the words. I think all this history of the % of words you have translated on each file is useless. You have to choose the TermBase each time you open it. What for? It should open by default the last one you used. The same history with the memories. I was much please with my old Trados, but Windows forces us all to migrate!!!!!

United States
Member (2004)
Danish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not sure your comment is relevant to my issue Jun 2, 2014

I was actually referring to the user unfriendliness of the SDL User Support website - not to Trados 2014 itself. I am particularly bothered that I may have to pay to get an answer to a problem that is so central to how Trados operates that should have been disclosed upfront.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:24
English
Why not log a case? Jun 2, 2014

Hi,

If you can't run the software, and the KB isn't helpful then log a support case so you can have a technician look at the problem.

Go to the Knowledgebase;

http://kb.sdl.com

Then go to the tab called Solution Finder ( http://kb.sdl.com/?cid=23&tab=sf ) and now go here;

Download & Installation Problems
- I use SDL Trados Studio and/or SDL MultiTerm 2009, 2011 or 2014
-- The installation went fine but now I get an error message etc
--- The problem occurs in (pick the appropriate tool/s - select Multiterm as Extract is not listed)
---- None of the articles resolved my problem (if they didn’t!)

Follow the route for your problem and if there is no answer that helps by the time you get to the end you'll be presented with a form to contact support. Complete all the fields in the form making sure your email address is entered correctly or nobody will be able to get back in touch with you.

Also use the Chrome browser to log the case if you have it; you'll get more success in completing the form.

Regards

Paul

United States
Member (2004)
Danish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Case in point - SDL site Jun 3, 2014

SDL Support wrote:

Hi,

If you can't run the software, and the KB isn't helpful then log a support case so you can have a technician look at the problem.

Go to the Knowledgebase;

http://kb.sdl.com

Then go to the tab called Solution Finder ( http://kb.sdl.com/?cid=23&tab=sf ) and now go here;

Download & Installation Problems
- I use SDL Trados Studio and/or SDL MultiTerm 2009, 2011 or 2014
-- The installation went fine but now I get an error message etc
--- The problem occurs in (pick the appropriate tool/s - select Multiterm as Extract is not listed)
---- None of the articles resolved my problem (if they didn’t!)

Follow the route for your problem and if there is no answer that helps by the time you get to the end you'll be presented with a form to contact support. Complete all the fields in the form making sure your email address is entered correctly or nobody will be able to get back in touch with you.

Also use the Chrome browser to log the case if you have it; you'll get more success in completing the form.

Regards

Paul

Thanks Paul,
I'll certainly give it a try.
But the solution you suggest is actually a case in point - my problem would not lead me to select this sequence of options. I had no problem with the installation - but I did not receive an error message. It just hangs. Perhaps alternatives should be made clear on your website...icon_wink.gif

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MultiTerm 2014 Extract - Java problems

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 only €435 / $519
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €435 / $519 / £345 / ¥63000 You will also receive FREE access to Studio 2019 when released.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search