confused about Trados. Can someone enlighten me?
Thread poster: Mpoma

Mpoma  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:33
French to English
Jun 2, 2014

Hello,

I have Trados 6.5 "workbench". I have had it for many years and used it with XP for years and before that with (I think MS 2k). Never thought it was a great product but it did the job to a degree...

Since getting a new comp with Windows 7 (64 bit) I have understood that T6.5 can't be installed in it because of some bad .NET dependency design. So I have installed and am using the "guest"/virtual OS XP. Not only is this a pain and slower than it should be but there is also some issue with XP vulnerability since M$ stopped producing security patches for XP in April (though apparently Avira and others have said they will continue to provide protection for some time).

I use T6.5 mainly with Word. I want a product which continues to work with Word, not least because I have developed some nice macros which increase my productivity a lot. This rules out WordFast Pro.

I also need to have TMs which contain formatting information (italics, superscript, etc.). It strikes me as strange that people might consider giving clients TMXs without this formatting info OK. This appears to rule out WordFast Classic and Metatexis.

I am completely confused about what is available from Trados/SDL (some people say that the current products, whatever they are, bear no relationship to the Trados workbenches of old, just having the name attached. Not incidentally that I am particularly attached to Trados, in fact I think it's a heap of the proverbial... but there seems little that meets my above requirements).

Am I condemned forever to work inside this grizzly, fiddly "virtual" OS? Are some older "Trados workbenches" (but able to work in the W7 OS) bundled with the newer "SDL Studios", whatever they are? Price-wise I have assumed these products are preposterously expensive... but I did see that there was a group offer for 500 € for SDL-Trados Studio 2014 here on Proz just recently...

(Though I've also heard that some of these things are actually "time limited"... i.e. have to "renew" the licence each year).

Can someone familiar with the SDL-Trados range possibly give me a bit of a clue how to proceed?

Thanks,
Mpoma


 

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:33
Finnish to French
Trados Workbench 8.3 compatible with 64-bit Windows 7 Jun 2, 2014

Mpoma wrote:
Since getting a new comp with Windows 7 (64 bit) I have understood that T6.5 can't be installed in it because of some bad .NET dependency design.

Trados Translator's Workbench 8.3 is compatible with 64-bit Windows 7, as you can see here:

2014-06-02_2236.png
Mpoma wrote:
Am I condemned forever to work inside this grizzly, fiddly "virtual" OS? Are some older "Trados workbenches" (but able to work in the W7 OS) bundled with the newer "SDL Studios", whatever they are? Price-wise I have assumed these products are preposterously expensive... but I did see that there was a group offer for 500 € for SDL-Trados Studio 2014 here on Proz just recently...

You missed the opportunity to buy SDL Trados 2007 Suite (which included the aforementioned TWB 8.3) while it was available bundled with Studio 2011. That opportunity still existed in June 2013, before the pre-launch of Studio 2014.
Mpoma wrote:
(Though I've also heard that some of these things are actually "time limited"... i.e. have to "renew" the licence each year).

That's what you get when you think you can buy software that will work "forever": being stuck with an old version no longer compatible with current OS's. The world changes, it's just fallacious to believe you can buy a piece of software now and stick with it for the next 10-15 years.
Mpoma wrote:
Can someone familiar with the SDL-Trados range possibly give me a bit of a clue how to proceed?

SDL won't sell you TWB any more, so your only choice would be to purchase a used license, assuming it can be transferred to you.


 

Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 09:33
Italian to English
CAT tools and Word Jun 2, 2014

Hi Mpoma,

Like you, I get most of my source texts in Word and, like you, I use word macros (PerfectIt and Style Writer among others) for QA.

This is no problem with my current CAT tool (Trados Studio 2014) or with other programs - I have also used Déjà Vu this way - that allow you to export your translation for external review and reimport it with the changes you have made in Word.

Best,

Giles


 

Mpoma  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:33
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Dominique Jun 4, 2014

Dominique Pivard wrote:

Mpoma wrote:
(Though I've also heard that some of these things are actually "time limited"... i.e. have to "renew" the licence each year).

That's what you get when you think you can buy software that will work "forever": being stuck with an old version no longer compatible with current OS's. The world changes, it's just fallacious to believe you can buy a piece of software now and stick with it for the next 10-15 years.


Dominique, could you possibly tell me: whether I use SDL Trados Studio 2014 for 1 or 5 or 10 years, do I in fact have to buy a new licence at the end of a certain time... or will it continue to operate for as long as I have it?

Thanks

PS I'm not entirely sure I agree 100% with you on your point... it depends what sorts of documents you are translating. The main reason I am having to change is because 1) T6.5 doesn't install in W7 and 2) when someone sends me a TMX file I usually can't import it... nor can I produce a modern TMX file.

Translating PPTs and so forth using TagEditor has always been rather horrible, slow and clunky, specially because I've developed macros for use with Word... A patent can be produced in a simple Word 2000 file, as can most documents I get sent. I generally process tricky non-convertible PDFs using ABBYY Finereader... which converts to a simple Word file. Actually T6.5 continues perfectly satisfactory in the way it works with Word 2000 (though I don't rate the quality of the software particularly).


 

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:33
Finnish to French
Studio license terms Jun 4, 2014

Mpoma wrote:
Dominique, could you possibly tell me: whether I use SDL Trados Studio 2014 for 1 or 5 or 10 years, do I in fact have to buy a new licence at the end of a certain time... or will it continue to operate for as long as I have it?

SDL Trados Studio licenses are "perpetual". There are many people still using Studio 2009. Of course, they have to live with a more limited feature set, with OpenExchange apps that do not work with that version etc.
Mpoma wrote:
PS I'm not entirely sure I agree 100% with you on your point... it depends what sorts of documents you are translating. The main reason I am having to change is because 1) T6.5 doesn't install in W7 and 2) when someone sends me a TMX file I usually can't import it... nor can I produce a modern TMX file.

I personally believe it's in my best interest to stay current with software, whether that entails paying an annual fee (memoQ), renewing the validity of my license every third year (Wordfast) or buying an upgrade every 2-3 years (Trados). I don't think the type of documents you translate matters much in that respect.
Mpoma wrote:
Translating PPTs and so forth using TagEditor has always been rather horrible, slow and clunky,

Well, yes. I think only masochists would enjoy translating in TagEditor. But as I said, the world around us evolves: maybe TagEditor was pretty much the only choice you had for non-Word documents back in 2004, but there are plenty of much better alternatives today, both from Trados (SDL) and other vendors.
Mpoma wrote:
specially because I've developed macros for use with Word... A patent can be produced in a simple Word 2000 file, as can most documents I get sent. I generally process tricky non-convertible PDFs using ABBYY Finereader... which converts to a simple Word file.

You're not the only one who has to deal with PDF's. I also use FineReader. There are good sets of macros like CodeZapper, TransTools etc. that will assist you in producing better Word documents. You don't have to stick to TWB & TE 6.5 just because of that.


 

Mpoma  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:33
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
one more thing, if I may... Jun 4, 2014

Thanks again for your informative reply.

Just one more thing. I'm considering buying SDL Trados Studio 2014... but what do you think about Multiterm 2014? Is it really worth 500 € or so? I've noticed that Studio 2014 has a way of accessing a Termbase apparently built into it...

Concerning memoQ: can you tell me whether this stores formatting information in the TM... and whether it can be used as a replacement for SDL Trados Studio? I presume not, as you appear to be keeping your memoQ, WordFast and S-T Studio apps up-to-date, at non-negligible cost I suspect.

I am not keen on spending huge sums on these tools, as you can no doubt tell, but I am prepared to spend what I have to to get the *right* tools. If I have to get the expensive tools I'd rather do that than first fritter away wasted money on ones that don't meet my needs. This would have been the case with Metatexis, as the lack of formatting info in the TMs rules it out for me.


 

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:33
Finnish to French
Some answers to your questions Jun 4, 2014

Mpoma wrote:
Just one more thing. I'm considering buying SDL Trados Studio 2014... but what do you think about Multiterm 2014? Is it really worth 500 € or so? I've noticed that Studio 2014 has a way of accessing a Termbase apparently built into it...

MultiTerm is bundled with Studio, so whatever price you'd end up paying for Studio would get you MultiTerm as well (however, it is possible to buy MultiTerm separately, though I don't believe any freelance translator is actually doing it).
Termbases can be accessed from within Studio, but they are actually managed by MultiTerm, which is a separate application. Studio currently communicates with MultiTerm via Java, with well-known issues.
Mpoma wrote:
Concerning memoQ: can you tell me whether this stores formatting information in the TM... and whether it can be used as a replacement for SDL Trados Studio?

memoQ does store formatting information into its TM. Also, its termbase functionality is built-in, ie. much more tightly integrated.
memoQ is an excellent replacement for Studio, as it offers good support for both SDLXLIFF files and SDLPPX/SDLRPX packages. You can't use memoQ if you need to access remote TM's (not a problem for me).
Mpoma wrote:
I presume not, as you appear to be keeping your memoQ, WordFast and S-T Studio apps up-to-date, at non-negligible cost I suspect.

Of course, there's a cost involved, but I find it bearable. memoQ is the most expensive for me to maintain: 124 euros per year (but that includes technical support as well). I don't pay the annual maintenance fee (what they call a PSMA agreement) for Trados, because I find it too expensive in relation to my needs. Instead, I only buy upgrades, trying to find good bargains: I think I paid 125 euros for the upgrade from 2011 to 2014; as more than two years elapsed between the two, that's less than 65 euros per year. As to Wordfast, renewals cost either 200 or 250 euros, for three years; it's well under 100 euros per year and it also includes technical support, like with memoQ. Not that I really need it.
Mpoma wrote:
I am not keen on spending huge sums on these tools, as you can no doubt tell, but I am prepared to spend what I have to to get the *right* tools. If I have to get the expensive tools I'd rather do that than first fritter away wasted money on ones that don't meet my needs. This would have been the case with Metatexis, as the lack of formatting info in the TMs rules it out for me.

You may want to have a look at Déjà Vu. It used to be very expensive, but they have slashed its price a lot and it is in fact now the cheapest of the mainstream tools. The latest version (DVX3) finally includes a user-friendly (WYSIWYG) editor for the main formats. A fully functional 30-day trial is available.


 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

confused about Trados. Can someone enlighten me?

Advanced search







SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search