ucm13
Germany
Local time: 15:00
English to German
+ ...
Jun 4, 2014

Hi,

I am hopelessly lost!
I do have a huge editing project with several hundred tiny sdlxiff-files.

I open one file - mark lines as "approved" or change and safe as translated - and then go to "save target file at" ( = a file on my laptop).

When I look in there I do have the original slf.sdlxiff-files - plus the one I have processed, which now shows a blank page and only the name "xlf".

When back in trados, I do only have the sldxiff files in there, which contain all my changes.

Once I send the complete package back: Will the customer be able to access the correct files? Why those double files with different endings on my laptop?

Thanks for your help.

Direct link Reply with quote

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Some basics. Jun 4, 2014

Hi ucm13,

Your files were clearly xlf files to begin with. When you open these for translation in Studio they become sdlxliff files which is the bilingual file format used by Studio. So in your case they would be renamed as *.xlf.sdlxliff.

If they were doc files to start with, or excel files, then they would become doc.sdlxliff or xls.sdlxliff.

When you save target you are in effect creating a "clean" copy of the translation which means you get the xlf files back only they should now contain the translated text.

When you send a return package back, don't worry. Your client will be able to update their Project and create the target files.

Regards

Paul

ucm13
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
xlf files Jun 4, 2014

Hi Paul,

thanks so much. You made my day. I was so desperate how to properly process this huge order...

Guess I have found a trados expert in you I often have questions ... need assistance...would you be interested in helping / assisting me once in a while (a session e. g.). Of course against pay?

Let me know.

Thanks and best
Uschi

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2011 saves xlf.sdlxiff as normal xlf file

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 only €415 / $495
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €415 / $495 / £325 / ¥60,000 You will also receive FREE access to our getting started eLearning program!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search