Problem with tags in TTX files (between Trados 2007 and Studio 2011)
Thread poster: Riku Pepponen

Riku Pepponen  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 06:23
English to Finnish
+ ...
Jun 4, 2014

Hi guys,

I think I've read every documentation and forum post regarding TTX file tags in SDL Trados Studio 2011 but couldn't find a solution for my problem, so here's my first post to this forum. I hope someone can help me.

Scenario is this: my client is still using Trados 2007 and he sends me TTX files (.xml.ttx) that have a lot of tags. Now, SDL Trados Studio 2011 "hides" segments' start and end tags in order to protect them. Fair enough, I disabled the "smart tags" feature (Options > TRADOStag > Compatibility), but the problem persists if there are two or more start tags in a segment - Studio 2011 only shows the last one!

For example:

In TTX file in Trados 2007, there's a segment:

<ph><ph><ph>Here's a sentence.</ph> And here's another.</ph></ph>

In Studio 2011 (with smart tags) it shows as:

Here's a sentence.</ph> And here's another.

In Studio 2011 (without smart tags), it shows as:

<ph>Here's a sentence.</ph> And here's another.</ph>

So there are still tags that are outside the editable segment. This causes problems for my client when they analyze the files with Trados 2007 (segments that are 100% translated in Studio show up as No Match in 2007).

Is there any way around this problem? I have over 4,000 files, so manual editing would be extremely laborious.

I'm using SDL Trados Studio 2011, SP2R 10.4.3123.2.

Maria Luisa Barbano  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 05:23
Member (2007)
English to Italian
Presegment files in 2007 Jun 4, 2014

Hi Riku,

I had the same problem. In order to solve it, I always pre-segment TTX files in Trados 2007, by checking the "Segment unknown sentences" option under Translate (in Workbench). That should do the trick.
Good luck!

Maria Luisa Barbano
English>Italian AITI Qualified Translator
Web: http://mlbarbano.wordpress.com/

[Modificato alle 2014-06-04 16:47 GMT]

Riku Pepponen  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 06:23
English to Finnish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Jun 8, 2014

Thank you so much!

I asked the client for segmented files and now they work perfectly!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem with tags in TTX files (between Trados 2007 and Studio 2011)

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search